Charing Cross Hospital Saved From Virtual Closure
Friday 8th February 2013
Hammersmith and Fulham Council says Charing Cross Hospital has been saved from virtual closure after a campaign by residents.
£90 million is going to be invested in keeping the A&E and other services open following a campaign by the council and residents.
There had been plans to turn it into a small local hospital, with the majority of major specialisms going elsewhere.
The Hospital will keep its 24/7 emergency facility open to people who make their own way to A & E (complicated emergencies, included those picked up by ambulances will be taken to specialist services elsewhere).
It is to be designated as a 'Specialist Health and Social Care' hospital with cancer and teaching specialisms also kept.
"The massive opposition from local people to the original proposals has forced NHS managers to rethink their plans," says Councillor Marcus Ginn, Cabinet Member for health and social care at H&F Council.
"The £90million cash injection now proposed by the NHS would secure the hospital's future for generations to come and the top priority was always to save Charing Cross and the services so many of our residents rely on.
"In return, we have agreed to halt our legal challenge to the NHS proposals as all but the most complex emergencies will continue to be treated at Charing Cross. We believe that we have secured the best possible deal for our residents."
NHS North West London will formally announce its plans for the future configuration of hospitals and A&E services in the area on Tuesday February 19.