skip to content skip to search skip to navigation Listen Live skip to logon
Saturday 25th October 2014
Max 15°C | Min 11°C

Clapham Fire Caused By Crystal Door Knob

Wednesday 9th July 2014

A fire in south London is being blamed on a crystal door knob that refracted the sun's rays onto a dressing gown hanging on the door.

The door. Picture: LFB

Fortunately no-one was hurt in the fire, which happened in Clapham on Monday, as the house was empty at the time. The smoke alarm alerted builders who were working nearby, who called the fire brigade.

Firefighters say it should be a warning to others.

"Crystal and glass ornaments and items such as shaving mirrors should be kept out of direct sunlight," Charlie Pugsley from the Brigade’s fire investigation unit said. "The homeowners are lucky they had a working smoke alarm which alerted some local builders who quickly called the Brigade. Part of the bedroom was damaged in the fire but it could have been much worse."

The door knob. Picture: LFB

Earlier this year the Brigade attended an incident in Romford where a crystal ball had set light to curtains. Last summer firefighters tackled a fire in Enfield caused by a vanity mirror, which also set fire to curtains.

London Fire Brigade’s top three safety tips:

• Keep mirrors and crystal or glass objects away from the sunny sills
• Fit at least one smoke alarm per floor and test them every week to make sure they work and the batteries are not flat.
• If you have a fire, close the door on the blaze, get out stay out and call the Brigade


Comments