skip to content skip to search skip to navigation Listen Live skip to logon
Thursday 1st September 2016
Max 23°C | Min 15°C

Life For Man Who Murdered Brother Following Family Funeral

Friday 25th July 2014

A man has been jailed for life after murdering his brother following an argument at a funeral in south east London.

Mark and Sean Hayes

Mark Hayes, 53, stabbed his brother Sean, after they went to their brother's funeral in Eltham last April.

The court heard how the pair had fallen out after Sean failed to attend their father's funeral a decade earlier and had little to do with each other after that.

Following the funeral of their brother Tommy on 26th April 2013 Mark Hayes and his side of the family went to a local pub while Sean and his side of the family attended the official wake at a local rugby club.

Later on members of Sean Hayes' side of the family ended up at the same pub, where a fight broke out and the police were called.

Sean was not there at the time but went to pick up his daughter and her boyfriend, who were.

It is thought that his daughter telling him that Mark Hayes had threatened to bottle her led to Sean Hayes driving to his brother's house in Eltham Green Road.

A confrontation then took place which led to Sean Hayes being stabbed with a 19cm kitchen knife. London Ambulance Service was called and he was declared dead at the scene.

Mark Hayes was arrested at his home address on 27th April. Detectives recovered the murder weapon from the sink in Mark Hayes's home.

In a statement, the family of Sean Hayes called him "a very generous, caring, loving and upstanding man."

"There will never be anyone who was as good a husband and father. He would have done anything for his wife, family and extended family.

"He was the support structure of the whole family and people could always depend on him for guidance, help and support.

"Sean was a Freemason and he did a lot of charity work with them and on a personal basis.

"Without Sean it is going to be very difficult to look forward to the future. He was loved very much and will be missed by many, many people."

Mark Hayes has been sentenced to life with a minimum of 22 years.