skip to content skip to search skip to navigation Listen Live skip to logon
Sunday 28th August 2016
Max 21°C | Min 16°C

Man Arrested In Tower Hamlets Election Investigation

Wednesday 4th June 2014

A 24 year old man has been arrested by police investigating allegations of electoral fraud in Tower Hamlets in East London.

The Met Police say they have recieved a total of 84 complaints of electoral malpractice in relation to the borough.

Officers from the Specialist Crime and Operations Directorate conducted a thorough assesment of the complaints and said that in the majority of cases there is no evidence that any criminal offenced had been committed.

The council was accused of failing to prevent voters being intimidated outside voting stations. The Met says complaints relating to alleged behaviour of campaigners at polling stations are currently being assessed in conjunction with their partners.

The Met also says there was a strong police prescience on polling day with an officer posted to each polling station on the borough.

In a statement to LBC the force said:

"We are also working with our partners to deliver a robust policing plan concerning the Tower Hamlets by-election on 3 July.

"There are currently eight investigations ongoing in relation to Tower Hamlets. These refer to one allegation of failing to put a correct imprint on election literature; one of making a false statement about a candidate; four of false declarations on nomination papers; and two relating to postal voting.

"Two arrests have been made in connection with these ongoing investigations."

A 38 year old man was arrested on 13 May on suspicion of an offence under the Representation of the People Act 1983 in connection with an allegation of potential false declarations on nomination forms. He was taken into custody and subsequently released pending further inquiries. He is due in court later this month.

Yesterday a 24-year-old man was arrested on suspicion of conspiracy to defraud in relation to postal vote applications. He was taken into custody and subsequently bailed to return pending further inquiries.