skip to content skip to search skip to navigation Listen Live skip to logon
Saturday 27th August 2016
Max 25°C | Min 17°C

Man Convicted for Killing Missing Lover

Tuesday 29th January 2013

A man has been convicted of manslaughter - 17 years after his lover went missing - despite her body having never been found.
The last sighting of Jane Harrison in Wood Green
Jane Harrison disappeared in 1995 aged 32. She was last seen in the Wood Green Shopping City precinct with Kevin Doherty (pictured above).

She is presumed murdered.
Jane Harrison
She and Doherty - from Cherry Tree Rise, Buckhurst Hill - had a one year old child together. She also had a 14 year old from a former relationship.

The pair had met in a nightclub in 1992 and - despite the fact that Doherty was married with three children - began what is described as a "turbulent relationship peppered with break-ups and physical violence".

Doherty has been described as obsessive and controlling.

On Wednesday 14 June 1995 he booked a last-minute holiday to Florida for himself, Jane and her sons and they went shopping in Wood Green the next day to buy clothes for the trip.

That was the last sighting of her and Doherty claimed to have dropped Jane off close to her mother's home afterward.

He reported her missing on Friday 16 June 1995.

Kevin DohertyAs the last person to see Jane alive, he had initially been treated as a witness but was arrested on suspician of abduction the month after her disappearance, however there wasn't enough evidence to charge him.

When the investigation was reopened in 2010 by the Met's Murder Review Group inconsistencies were found in his account - with analysis of his mobile phone showing his claim that he had spoken to Jane a number of times after she was last seen was false.

Cab driver Doherty, now 57, was arrested on Tuesday 29 May 2012 and subsequently charged.

Investigating officer Detective Inspector Dermot Carroll, from the Homicide and Serious Crime Command, said: "Today's conviction is the culmination of a long investigation and I am very pleased for all those who worked on this case and for Jane's family that Doherty is now facing prison.

"At last Jane's family have got the justice they have sought for 17 years. They never gave up and it is sad and unfortunate that Jane's mother Phylis passed away before she saw this day.

"Doherty has kept his lie for almost two decades. He has persistently lied to police, Jane's family and to his own family and friends.

"I only hope now he has the decency to tell us what happened to Jane."

"This case proves that the Met never dismisses unsolved investigations. I would like to thank the witnesses in this case who helped bring Doherty to justice."

Doherty has been jailed for 12 years.