Rolf Harris Found Guilty Of Indecent Assault
Monday 30th June 2014
Rolf Harris has been found guilty of all twelve counts of indecent assault he faced.
The 84 year old was accused of indecently assaulting four women between 1968 and 1986.
Harris remained impassive as the forewoman delivered the unanimous verdicts.
During his trial prosecutors claimed that the entertainer was a "Jekyll
and Hyde" character who had a dark side to his personality and used his
fame to abuse under-age girls.
Dozens more alleged victims have come forward during the trial, including several in Australia, and Scotland Yard has been in touch with their counterparts in the Australian police, but it is not yet clear whether they are pursuing any investigation in Harris's home country.
The NSPCC said it has received 28 calls relating to Harris to date, involving 13 people who claim they fell prey to the performer.
"We’re delighted to have played a major role in helping bring Rolf Harris to justice and to uncover the dark side of an entertainer who hid behind his happy-go-lucky persona while committing sexual offences," Peter Watt, director of national services at the NSPCC, said.
"His reckless and brazen sexual offending, sometimes in public places, bizarrely within sight of people he knew, speaks volumes about just how untouchable he thought he was.
"Like many children overwhelmed by the trauma of sexual abuse, those he targeted struggled to understand the ordeal they had been through at the time, and battled to come to terms with the impact of their experience at his hands. Some felt ashamed at what had been done to them.
"But now the world knows only one person should be ashamed, and that is Rolf Harris."
Harris was released on bail until Friday when he will be sentenced.
Justice Sweeney warned the 84-year-old that given the conviction on all 12 counts it was "inevitable" that a custodial sentence would be possible.