skip to content skip to search skip to navigation Listen Live skip to logon
Friday 26th August 2016
Max 25°C | Min 18°C

Three Jailed For School Run Acid Attack

Monday 29th July 2013

Three men have been jailed for an acid attack on a woman as she picked up her children from school in Upton Park.

L-R: Ahad Miah, Yannick Ntesa, Abdul Motin

The victim had acid poured over her head in March 2011 close to Upton Cross Primary School and suffered horrific burns to her face and body.

She was with her twin sons - aged six -  and her daughter at the time of the attack but the children were unhurt.

One witness described her attacker - who had been driven to the scene with his accomplices - as laughing as he poured the liquid over her.

She fled to a neighbour's house where she was assisted by two friends and two female police officers before being taken to the Royal London Hospital.

She was then transferred to a specialist burns hospital in Essex to be treated for 16% chemical burns.

The three men have been sentenced to a total of 44 years following a six week trial at Blackfriars Crown Court where they were found guilti of conspiracy to cause Grievous Bodily Harm and throwing corrosive fluid on another with intent to cause GBH.

Yannick Ntesa, 25, of Great Western Road, W2 was sentenced to 14 years' imprisonment.

Abdul Motin, 28, of Dagobert House, E1 was sentenced to 16 years' imprisonment.

Ahad Miah, 31, of no fixed abode was sentenced to 14 years' imprisonment.

Detective Inspector John Reynolds, of Newham CID, said: "This was a truly shocking attack on a mother who had her two very young children with her at the time. It was only by chance that those children were not seriously injured. They did however suffer terrible shock from seeing their own mother so horrifically assaulted.

"The victim in this case is entirely innocent but will now spend the rest of her life having to adjust to the severe disfigurement inflicted on her.

"This sentencing demonstrates just how seriously the Met police and the courts treat such incidents. Those responsible have been bought to justice and we can only hope it brings some small comfort to the victim."