Probe launched after police officer filmed 'beating boy, 16, over head with baton'

10 February 2020, 15:58

By Kate Buck

A 16-year-old boy had to be hospitalised after allegedly being beaten over the head by a policeman with his baton.

The scuffle broke out after Barnsley's game against local rivals Sheffield Wednesday on Saturday.

Pictures of his injuries were later uploaded to social media by his mum, and footage was posted on Twitter of the incident.

South Yorkshire Police have confirmed an investigation has now been launched into the incident.

A football fan who filmed the moment said the youth could have been killed.

Spencer White said there had been trouble between the two sets of fans after the match, as they both travelled towards the town's transport interchange.

The boy's mum posted pictures of his injury
The boy's mum posted pictures of his injury. Picture: Social media

The Barnsley fan said: "There were fights popping off randomly.

"Every two or three minutes there was a crowd of people getting rowdy.

"As I got to the train station there were two lads fighting, one a Barnsley fan and one a Sheffield Wednesday fan.

"I pulled out my phone to record it and the video shows the rest."

His film, which has been shared on social media, shows a 16-year-old fan being hit on the head with a baton, then a struggle on the floor, with blood coming out of his head.

Witnesses remonstrated angrily with officers at the scene.

Spencer, also 16, said: "He could have been killed, really."

An investigation has been launched
An investigation has been launched. Picture: Social media

Match commander, chief superintendent Sarah Poolman said: "A full open investigation, including extended video footage, will take place to ascertain the circumstances surrounding the incident, including the actions which led to a 16-year-old boy sustaining a head injury from an officer's baton and an officer being assaulted, sustaining injuries to his stomach and head.

"The 16-year-old boy was taken to hospital by ambulance.

"The police officer also attended hospital.

"Both of their injuries and not life-threatening.

"A 47-year-old man was arrested on suspicion of assaulting an emergency service worker.

"He has been released under investigation."

She asked anyone with information, including video footage, to contact 101.