Champions League: PSG and Istanbul Basaksehir walk off pitch accusing official of racism

8 December 2020, 20:51 | Updated: 8 December 2020, 22:19

The two sides abandoned play in protest
The two sides abandoned play in protest. Picture: PA

By Asher McShane

The Champions League clash between PSG and Istanbul Basaksehir was suspended tonight when players left the pitch in protest after accusing an official of using racist language.

Paris Saint-Germain and Basaksehir's sides both walked off in protest of alleged racism by the fourth official during the Champions League game.

Former Premier League player Demba Ba led the Istanbul Basaksehir players off and Paris Saint-Germain's players joined them.

Istanbul Basaksehir's assistant manager Pierre Webo was sent off after 14 minutes then several minutes later the entire side walked off the pitch, followed by their opponents.

Istanbul Basaksehir promptly posted a "no to racism" message on social media.

"After a red card is given by the referee to a member of opposition staff, discussions continue between players and staff of both teams with the referee," PSG said on Twitter.

"The Basaksehir players decide to go back to the locker room, the Parisians follow them."

Basaksehir's manager Okan Buruk (right) reacts next to fourth official Sebastian Coltescu during the Champions League match
Basaksehir's manager Okan Buruk (right) reacts next to fourth official Sebastian Coltescu during the Champions League match. Picture: PA Images

The French champions said on Twitter that the referee had shown a red card to one of Basaksehir's staff, with video footage emerging which appeared to show their assistant manager Pierre Webo accusing the fourth official of using racist language.

Gary Lineker tweeted: "The 4th official? Good heavens."

Video footage also showed Basaksehir striker Demba Ba remonstrating with the fourth official, Romanian Sebastian Coltescu, on the touchline.

The former Chelsea forward asked the official: "Why, when you mention a black guy, do you have to say this black guy?"

Governing body UEFA said in a statement that the game would continue with a replacement fourth official, but more than an hour after the players left the pitch it had still not done so

UEFA said: "Following an alleged incident involving the fourth official, the match was temporarily suspended. After consultation with both teams, it was agreed that the match would restart with a different fourth official.

"UEFA will thoroughly investigate the matter and further communication will be made in due course."