Police release images of thirteen more 'Kill the Bill' Bristol riot suspects

29 March 2021, 22:07 | Updated: 29 March 2021, 22:11

Police have released images of people they want to speak to
Police have released images of people they want to speak to. Picture: Avon and Somerset Police

By Maddie Goodfellow

Police have released images of a further thirteen people they wish to speak to following the riot that tarnished a "Kill the Bill" protest in Bristol.

Police are investigating assaults on 40 officers and one member of the media at the riot in Bristol on Sunday.

The force has now released another 13 images of people we want to identify in connection with the violent disorder in Bristol on Sunday, 21 March.

On Tuesday last week, Avon and Somerset Police released the pictures of a number of suspects they wished to trace in connection with the disorder.

And on the Wednesday, police released eight images of people they wish to speak to.

Police have released pictures of people they want to speak to
Police have released pictures of people they want to speak to. Picture: Avon and Somerset Police

Avon and Somerset Police said in total, 25 people have now been arrested in connection with last Sunday’s incident.

Nine men, aged between 19 and 44 were arrested on suspicion of violent disorder during the incident.

Four women, aged between 18 and 20, were then arrested between Thursday and Friday, also on suspicion of violent disorder.

A further three people, two men and a woman – aged between 21 and 30 – were detained during Friday night’s disorder, again on suspicion of violent disorder. The two men were also arrested on suspicion of arson and the woman on suspicion of assault.

On Saturday, officers also arrested three men and two women – aged between 19 and 30. All five were arrested on suspicion of violent disorder with one of the men also detained on suspicion of arson.

A man and woman were arrested on Sunday, while a man and woman were also arrested today (Monday, 29 March). All four were also detained on suspicion of violent disorder.

Chief Superintendent Carolyn Belafonte said the investigation into Sunday's riot could be one of the largest in the history of Avon and Somerset Police.

"The fact we're investigating 40 assaults on officers and a member of the media as the result of one incident shows the scale of wanton disorder which took place that night," Chief Supt Belafonte said.

"Through painstaking work to examine more than two terabytes worth of digital footage, we believe we're making clear progress to identify those responsible and anticipate further images will be released soon to the online gallery we've set up.

"One of the people we believe we've already identified is a suspect in the fire which destroyed a mobile community police station.

"We'd like to thank every member of the public who's got in touch to provide footage, information or to pass on their well-wishes and kind thoughts."

Read more: More arrests 'imminent' after 20 officers injured in 'Kill the Bill' protest

Watch: Police assaults at 'Kill the Bill' protests were 'unacceptable', ex-top cop

Around 3,000 people had attended a peaceful demonstration on College Green but events turned violent after about 500 people descended on Bridewell police station.

Police have released images of 17 people they want to identify following the protest on Sunday.

The force has received 210 submissions after appealing for members of the public to supply footage or information about those involved, as well as 68 calls to the control room.

Two officers taken to hospital during the riot were found not to have suffered broken bones.

Six men arrested on suspicion of violent disorder have been released under investigation, while a 28-year-old man appeared at Bristol Magistrates' Court charged with possessing an offensive weapon.

On Tuesday, around 200 people gathered on College Green for a second night of protests.

Police requested mutual aid from neighbouring forces to assist in dispersing the gathering after attempts to encourage people to leave were unsuccessful, a police spokesman said.

Public order officers from Avon and Somerset, British Transport Police, Devon and Cornwall, Dorset, Dyfed-Powys, Gloucestershire, Gwent and Wiltshire were deployed to move protesters on at 10pm.

Police dog units, horses, the police helicopter and a police drone unit were also involved in the operation.

Many protesters left the area but a "significant number" gathered on Deanery Road and refused to disperse, Avon and Somerset Police said.

Fourteen arrests were made, with one of those detained also arrested for offences connected to Sunday's protest.

Chief Superintendent Claire Armes said: "After the scenes of violence witnessed in the city at the weekend, it was necessary to bring in additional resources from our neighbouring forces to ensure the protest was safely brought to a swift conclusion.

"Throughout the operation officers continued to urge protesters to move on - at no time were they contained - but there came a time when enforcement was necessary as gatherings are still not permitted."

The Police, Crime, Sentencing and Courts Bill would give the police in England and Wales more power to impose conditions on non-violent protests, including those deemed too noisy or a nuisance.

Those convicted under the proposed legislation could face a fine or jail.

Home Secretary Priti Patel criticised the "criminality and violent behaviour" seen during the protests in Bristol.