Elderly man killed in vintage 1903 car in M23 crash

3 November 2019, 15:35

The 80-year-old man died at the scene
The 80-year-old man died at the scene. Picture: Highways England
Nick Hardinges

By Nick Hardinges

An 80-year-old man has died and two others taken to hospital following a crash between an HGV and a 1903 Knox Runabout Old Porcupine car.

The crash took place in the Surrey section of the M23 shortly after 10am and involved a vintage car and a lorry.

The "serious collision" happened near junction seven on the southbound carriageway on Sunday morning, with the motorway being closed in both directions to allow an air ambulance to land on the road.

The tragic incident took place close to the route of the London to Brighton Veteran Car Run, which set off Sunday morning, however it is unclear whether the car and the driver took part in the event.

Despite the arrival of the helicopter, the elderly man who was driving the old car died at the scene.

A female passenger was taken to hospital with serious injuries.

The road closure is still in place to allow police to carry out accident investigation work at the scene and has caused delays on the nearby M25.

A Surrey Police statement said: "We can confirm that a man has sadly died following a collision on the southbound carriageway of the M23 near J7 Hooley this morning.

"The collision, involving a car (1903 Knox Runabout Old Porcupine) and an HGV, took place around 10am.

"The driver of the car, an 80-year-old man, was pronounced dead at the scene shortly after the collision, and a female passenger has been taken to hospital by ambulance with serious injuries. Police have notified the man's next of kin.

"The road has been closed in both directions and will remain so while we investigate the incident and enable the motorway to reopen. Please find alternative routes at this time."

"Anyone who witnessed the collision, or with any information which could assist our enquiries including dashcam footage, is asked to contact us on 101, quoting incident reference PR/P19255341.

The South East Coast Ambulance Service released a statement which said: "We were called to attend this incident at 10.05am.

"We sent two ambulances, as well as Critical Care Paramedics and a number of other resources to attend. The air ambulance also attended.

"At the scene, one patient was unfortunately pronounced as deceased. Our crews treated two other patients, an adult male and female.

"Neither were thought to be in a serious condition and one was taken by air ambulance to St George’s Hospital."

Crews from Surrey Fire and Rescue Service and London Fire Brigade were also at the scene.