Two men arrested after murder of Matlock Town footballer

26 January 2020, 10:29

Jordan Sinnott died following an assault in Retford in Nottinghamshire
Jordan Sinnott died following an assault in Retford in Nottinghamshire. Picture: PA Images
Ewan Quayle

By Ewan Quayle

Two men have been arrested on suspicion of murder after a footballer was attacked on a night out in Nottinghamshire.

The 21-year-old men were arrested on suspicion of murder on Sunday, as well as a 25-year-old man who was arrested on suspicion of grievous bodily harm.

A murder inquiry was launched on Saturday evening after 25-year-old Jordan Sinnott died in hospital following the assault in Retford, Nottinghamshire.

Mr Sinnott, a non-league footballer who played for Matlock Town on loan from Alfreton Town, was found unconscious with a suspected fractured skull following a fight in the early hours of Saturday morning.

A 27-year old man who was arrested on suspicion of grievous bodily harm shortly after the incident remains in police custody, the force said.

Detective Inspector Justine Wilson from Nottinghamshire Police said: “Mr Sinnott’s death is a sad and significant development in this investigation.

"Our thoughts remain with Mr Sinnott’s friends and family, who our specialist officers are continuing to support at this incredibly difficult time.

“Our investigative team’s focus will remain on identifying those responsible and bringing them to justice...we are appealing to anyone who was in Retford town centre late last night and in the early hours of this morning to come forward.

“This incident happened at a very busy time and we believe there are still a number of witnesses who have still not yet come forward who may hold vital information about how a young man came to lose his life so tragically."

A statement from Keith Brown, chief executive of Matlock Town, said the midfielder died shortly before 7pm on Saturday.

The statement said: "His family and friends were with him at his bedside and we send our sincere condolences to them all at this very sad time."

The club had earlier tweeted their Saturday game against Mickleover Sports had been postponed due to "tragic and unforeseen circumstances".

Mr Sinnott joined the club last August on loan from Alfreton Town, who also called off their Saturday fixture following the incident.

Alfreton Town paid tribute to "model footballer" Mr Sinnott on their website, saying he was "an exceptional talent".

Police have asked anyone who witnessed either incident to contact Nottinghamshire Police on 101, quoting incident number 78 of 25 January 2020, or call Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.