Thorpe Park stabbing: Man hospitalised and two arrested after attack

18 July 2020, 19:48

According to people at the theme park, police "refused to let people leave" the venue
According to people at the theme park, police "refused to let people leave" the venue. Picture: @AviosAdventurer

By Matt Drake

A man has been rushed to hospital after he was slashed across the stomach during an "altercation" at Thorpe Park.

According to police, two groups were involved in an "altercation" near the entrance to the theme park in Chertsey, Surrey, on Saturday afternoon.

The victim, in his 20s, has been seriously injured and was hospitalised.

Two men, also in their 20s, were arrested on suspicion of attempted murder.

Crowds at the park were locked down for around two hours while the victim was treated.

Security teams at the amusement park carry out bag searches and regularly patrol the premises.

Images on social media showed crowds of park-goers gathered together as several police officers attended the scene.

Surrey Police said: "We’re investigating an assault that took place close to the exit inside Thorpe Park on Staines Road in Chertsey this afternoon (Saturday 18 July) shortly before 4:55pm.

"Two groups of people were involved in an altercation on the bridge close to the exit and one man aged in his twenties has subsequently been treated for a slash wound to his stomach.

"He has been taken to hospital and his condition is described as serious. No-one else was hurt.

"Officers have been carrying out enquiries at the scene and two men, aged in their twenties, have been arrested on suspicion of attempted murder. They remain in custody at this time."

Detective Inspector Andy Greaves said: “I’m keen to hear from anyone who saw what happened or who has video footage of this assault. The two groups of people were close to the exit inside the park on the bridge when the assault took place.

“We’re still trying to establish what has happened, however I’d like to stress that this incident is not being treated as terrorism-related at the current time.

“Enquiries are ongoing to locate all those believed to have been involved. Officers will remain in the area for some time this evening and I’d like to thank Thorpe Park for their assistance and co-operation with our investigation”.

Thorpe Park re-opened earlier this month on July 4 after being shut due to the coronavirus pandemic.

In a statement, they said: "On 18th July 2020, an incident took place at the Thorpe Park Resort where a guest was seriously injured by another guest.

"The Resort’s security team and fully trained medical staff were at the scene within minutes and administered immediate care until emergency services teams arrived. The Police were alerted immediately and the Resort is co-operating fully with their investigations.

"The health, safety and security of our guests is our primary objective. We have an excellent security track record and have never had any incidents of this kind in over forty years.

"Our staff are trained to respond to incidents of all size and scale, and the Resort’s security staff maintain regular patrols on site. CCTV cameras are also situated throughout the Resort.

"We will be maintaining contact with both the injured guests’ family and the Police."