Irish fighter Conor McGregor to return to UFC in January

29 November 2019, 10:03 | Updated: 29 November 2019, 11:08

Conor McGregor will return to the Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC) 15 months after losing his lightweight title to Khabib Nurmagomedov.

UFC president Dana White said McGregor will fight in a welterweight bout against Donald "Cowboy" Cerrone in January.

Mr White told ESPN on Thursday: "Conor has signed and 'Cowboy' is ready to go."

The announcement comes after McGregor, 31, was convicted of assault earlier this month following an altercation in a Dublin pub in April.

He was fined €1,000 (£861).

The Irishman has not fought since losing his lightweight title to Nurmagomedov via submission in October 2018.

He went on to resign from the sport in March 2019.

McGregor had been arrested in Miami two weeks earlier for allegedly smashing a fan's phone, but the charges were dropped.

The Irish fighter has stepped up a weight class for his fight against Cerrone as part of the UFC 246 event in Las Vegas.

McGregor has 21 professional wins and four losses in mixed martial arts (MMA) and a single defeat to Floyd Mayweather on his professional boxing record.

He has previously fought twice in the welterweight class against Nate Diaz, losing the first fight to a second-round submission but winning a rematch on points.