Myanmar's military authorities block internet as coup protests expand

6 February 2021, 10:12

A crowd of protesters march in Yangon, Myanmar
A crowd of protesters march in Yangon, Myanmar. Picture: PA

By Megan White

Myanmar's new military authorities appear to have cut most access to the internet as they face a rising tide of protest over the coup that toppled Aung San Suu Kyi's elected civilian government.

Numerous internet users noted a slow disappearance of services in Myanmar, especially from mobile service providers, which accelerated sharply on Saturday morning.

Broadband connection also failed, while there were mixed reports on whether landline telephone service are still working.

Netblocks, a London-based service that tracks internet disruptions and shutdowns, said "a near-total internet shutdown is now in effect" in Myanmar, with connectivity falling to just 16% of normal levels.

The outage followed Friday's government order to block Twitter and Instagram, with authorities saying that some people are trying to use the platforms to spread what is deemed fake news.

Facebook had already been blocked earlier in the week - though not completely effectively.

Riot police block a street as protesters gather for a demonstration against the military coup in Yangon
Riot police block a street as protesters gather for a demonstration against the military coup in Yangon. Picture: Getty

The communication blockages are a stark reminder of the progress Myanmar is in danger of losing after Monday's coup plunged the nation back under direct military rule after a nearly decade-long move towards greater openness and democracy.

During Myanmar's previous five decades of military rule, the country was internationally isolated and communication with the outside world strictly controlled.

Ms Suu Kyi's five years as leader since 2015 had been Myanmar's most democratic period despite the military retaining broad powers over the government, the continued use of repressive colonial-era laws and the persecution of minority Rohingya Muslims.

The blockages are also adding greater urgency to efforts to resist the coup, with Saturday seeing some of the largest street protests yet against the takeover.

In what appeared to be the main demonstration, about 1,000 protesters - factory workers and students prominent among them - marched down a main street in Yangon, the country's biggest city, and were met by more than 100 police in riot gear.

A protester holds up a sign during a demonstration against the military coup in Yangon
A protester holds up a sign during a demonstration against the military coup in Yangon. Picture: Getty

Members of the crowd shouted: "Military dictatorship should fall", and: "Down with dictatorship".

They marched with their hands in the air, formed into three-fingered salutes, a symbol of defiance adopted from protesters in neighbouring Thailand, who borrowed the gesture from the Hunger Games movie franchise.

The demonstration ended peacefully with no clashes reported.

It dispersed around the time communications were cut, and it is unclear if the marchers later regrouped.

Telenor Myanmar, a major mobile operator, confirmed it had received Friday's order to block Twitter and Instagram.

In a statement, Twitter said it was "deeply concerned" about the order and vowed to "advocate to end destructive government-led shutdowns".

A spokesperson said: "It undermines the public conversation and the rights of people to make their voices heard."

Since the coup, social media platforms have been major sources of independent news as well as organising tools for protests.

On Friday, for the fourth night, those opposed to the coup gathered at windows and on balconies around Yangon to make a cacophony of noise in protest.

Earlier, nearly 300 legislators from Aung San Suu Kyi's National League for Democracy party declared themselves as the sole legitimate representatives of the people and asked for international recognition for the country's government.

They were supposed to take their seats on Monday in a new session of parliament following the November election, when the military announced it was taking power for a year.

The military accuses Ms Suu Kyi and her party of failing to act on its complaints that the poll was marred by fraud, though the election commission said it had no found no evidence to support the claims.

In New York, UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres pledged that the United Nations will do everything it can to unite the international community and create conditions for the military coup to be reversed.

He told a news conference it is "absolutely essential" to carry out the Security Council's calls for a return to democracy, to respect for the results of the November elections, and for the release of all people detained by the military.

Mr Guterres said Christine Schraner Burgener, the UN special envoy for Myanmar, had a first contact with the military since the coup and expressed the UN's strong opposition to the takeover.

She reiterated to deputy commander-in-chief vice general Soe Win "the secretary-general's strong condemnation of the military's action that disrupted the democratic reforms that were taking place in the country".

In addition to 134 officials and legislators who were detained in the coup, some 18 independent activists were also held, according to the Assistance Association for Political Prisoners in Myanmar. Some were released later.

On Friday, Ms Suu Kyi's senior aide, Win Htein, was picked up in Mayangone township. He told BBC in a phone call earlier that he was being arrested for sedition, which carries a maximum penalty of life imprisonment.

Ms Suu Kyi and President Win Myint are also under house arrest and have been charged with minor offences, seen by many as merely providing a legal veneer for their detention.

Her party said Ms Suu Kyi is in good health.

Latest World News

See more Latest World News

Former US national security adviser John Bolton

Iranian operative charged in plot to murder Trump security adviser John Bolton

A resident sits on the sea wall as smoke rises in the background from a deadly fire at a large oil storage facility in Matanzas, Cuba

Firefighters subdue deadly blaze at key oil facility in Cuba

Rising smoke can be seen from the beach at Saky after explosions were heard from the direction of a Russian military airbase near Novofedorivka, Crimea

Ukraine says nine Russian warplanes were destroyed in Crimea blasts

The river Rhine is pictured with low water in Cologne, Germany

Fears mount that water levels in Rhine river could fall below critical mark

Former US president Donald Trump gestures as he departs Trump Tower on Wednesday August 10 2022 in New York

Donald Trump says he took the fifth amendment in New York investigation

Former US president Donald Trump arrives at Trump Tower, late on Tuesday August 9 2022, in New York

Donald Trump arrives to give evidence in New York investigation

Taiwan’s military conducts artillery live-fire drills at Fangshan township in Pingtung, southern Taiwan, Tuesday, August 9, 2022

China appears to wind down threatening war games near Taiwan

People line up to enter an H&M shop and buy items on sale in the Aviapark shopping centre in Moscow, Russia, on Tuesday August 9 2022

Russians buy last goods from H&M and Ikea as stores wind down

Tom Daley blames 'legacy of colonialism' for homophobia in the Commonwealth

Tom Daley blames British Empire's legacy of colonialism' for homophobic laws in Commonwealth nations

France Whale in Seine

Beluga whale stranded in French river dies, authorities say

French police shoot dead knifeman in Charles de Gaulle airport

Knifeman shot dead by police in packed terminal at Paris's biggest airport

Russia Ukraine

Large explosions rock Russian air base in Crimea

Chinese officials shared images from social media site Weibo of the Chinese military drills.

China's new invasion threat as it warns it is 'ready to use all necessary measures' to retake Taiwan

This photo released Tuesday, August 9, 2022, by the Albuquerque Police Department shows Muhammad Syed, 51, who was taken into custody on Monday in connection with the killings of four Muslim men in Albuquerque, New Mexico, over the last nine months

‘Motive unclear’ as man charged with killing fellow Muslims in Albuquerque

Yaser Said walks into the courtroom for his trial, Tuesday, August 9, 2022, in the Frank Crowley Criminal Courts Building in Dallas

‘Abusive’ father who evaded police for 12 years convicted of killing daughters

Albuquerque Muslim Killings

Man charged with killing two Muslim men in US city