Rachel Johnson 7pm - 9pm
McDonald's closes seated areas in restaurants across UK amid coronavirus threat
17 March 2020, 21:02
McDonald's has shut down all seating areas at restaurants across the UK in the wake of the coronavirus outbreak.
The fast-food chain will temporarily close seating areas and will only offer takeaway, drive-thru and delivery only during the Covid-19 outbreak.
McDonald's said the change will take place from 5am on Wednesday morning.
Also, all Uber Eats and Just Eat deliveries will be contact-free, a McDonald's statement said.
The statement added: "In these unprecedented times, our restaurants will continue to remain open for as long as it is safe to do so."
UK and Ireland McDonald's CEO Paul Pomroy said: "The wellbeing of our employees, customers and suppliers remains of the greatest importance to us and these changes are designed with you all in mind.
"We have not taken this decision lightly and will continue to review this over the coming days."
The company announced last week it would be enhancing its cleaning regime in its restaurants.
McDonald's has also taken the decision to delay this year's popular Monopoly promotion.
The company said: "This year’s prizes include a number of luxury holidays, European city breaks and cruises which will have all been impacted by current and ongoing restrictions on international travel.
"Following conversations with our suppliers and prize partners, we feel it is appropriate to delay the promotion until later this year.
"I apologise for any disappointment caused by this update and I look forward to Monopoly returning to our restaurants as soon as possible."