Ellie Goulding rushes to rescue of driver hit by Royal Mail lorry

16 December 2019, 21:17

Ellie Goulding stopped to check on the driver
Ellie Goulding stopped to check on the driver. Picture: Twitter / PA

By Maddie Goodfellow

The singer has come to the rescue of a man trapped in hit car after it was "T-boned" by a Royal Mail truck along one of London's busiest dual carriageways.

Staggering footage posted on social media shows a Volkswagen GTi being pushed down Western Avenue, A40 by the delivery vehicle.

The video also shows drivers honking their horns in desperate attempts to attract the lorry driver's attention.

Singer Ellie Goulding was in the Range Rover driving alongside the terrifying incident and revealed that her driver, Guy, was one of the motorists who stopped to help.

Footage also shows the Starry Eyed singer speaking to the man in the car to check on the man.

She told her 14.4 million Instagram followers: "Was just sent this - I'm the one in the car checking this guy was ok - craziest thing I've ever seen on the road.

"Everyone was driving past but my driver guy stopped. Drive safe and look out for others everyone!"

In a second post, she said: "On a side note, I can't believe the first instinct of the other drivers who got out was to instantly start filming on their phones and shout abuse at the poor shocked driver, not even checking the other driver was okay. What on earth."

Eventually, the driver stops with motorists shouting at him: "What the f*** are you doing man?!"

The driver appears astonished to see the car in front of his truck, claiming he did not see it, or know it was there.

He can be heard yelling: "I didn't see him, I honestly didn't see him."

He later tells the driver of the car: "Let's pull over and I can explain."

A Royal Mail spokesman said: "We are very concerned about this incident. We sincerely hope that no one was hurt. We are investigating as a matter of urgency."

Metropolitan Police said a routine patrol car came across the crash at 10am, close to the Greenford roundabout.

A spokesman said: "There were no reported injuries.

"Officers spoke with both parties. No arrests were made."