Husky accidentally turns on microwave and almost burns house down

3 December 2019, 20:00

The husky (not pictured) nearly set his home on fire
The husky (not pictured) nearly set his home on fire. Picture: PA

By Kate Buck

A husky is in the doghouse after almost setting the house on fire by inadvertently switching the microwave on.

The unnamed canine very nearly managed to wreck the semi-detached home after jumping on top of the kitchen worktop and managing to turn the appliance on.

A packet of bread rolls were inside the microwave and caught on fire, which could have quickly spread through the home.

But thankfully the owner, who was not at home at the time, noticed the smoke using a camera feed on his phone.

Geoff Whea from Corringham Fire Station, said: "Clearly this is a very strange incident involving the man's dog, but it could still have been more serious.

"When we arrived, the kitchen was filled with smoke.

"Firefighters ensured that the damage did not spread beyond the kitchen area - but it demonstrates that microwaves shouldn't be used to store food when they aren't in use.

"Our advice is to always keep your microwave clean and free of clutter or food and any packaging.

"Animals or children can turn them on more easily than you might think - so please don't run the risk."

Comments

Loading...