ITV News presenter Alastair Stewart steps down after social media 'misjudgment'

29 January 2020, 19:16

The veteran presenter stepped down on Wednesday
The veteran presenter stepped down on Wednesday. Picture: PA

By Megan White

ITV News host Alastair Stewart has stepped down from presenting duties "following errors of judgment" in his use of Twitter.

The veteran presenter, 67, said in a statement he made a "misjudgement which I regret", but did not elaborate.

ITN said that Stewart's use of social media had "breached" its editorial guidelines.

His decision to quit "is supported by both ITV and ITN".

Stewart said: "It was a misjudgement which I regret, but it's been a privilege to bring the news to households throughout the UK for the past 40 years."

He had been a staff reporter and presenter on ITV News programmes before working as a part-time freelance presenter, mainly on the lunchtime news and weekend shows.

Michael Jermey, director of news and current affairs at ITV, said: "Alastair has been a long-standing, familiar figure to viewers of ITV News, both reporting and presenting with distinction.

"We wish him the very best for the future."

ITN chief executive Anna Mallett said: "We would like to recognise Alastair's contribution as one of the UK's foremost journalists and TV presenters and to thank him for his commitment to delivering high-quality broadcast news over many years."

Fellow presenters shared their sadness at the decision, adding that he was a “trusted friend” to many of his colleagues.

Sharing an article referencing Stewart stepping down, ITV News presenter Julie Etchingham tweeted: "So sad to learn this - we have worked on many big stories together & Al is a trusted friend and guide to many of us."

ITV News presenter Mary Nightingale tweeted: "Very sad about the departure of #AlastairStewart.

"He was a good friend and mentor to me when I started at Carlton TV, and we worked together for more than 27 years. I will miss him."

Comments

Loading...