Andrew Castle 7am - 10am
Man accused of murdering Keeley Bunker in Tamworth has trial date set
25 September 2019, 12:13
The 19-year-old man charged with murdering Keeley Bunker on Thursday 19 September is expected to face trial next year, a court has heard.
Wesley Streete, of no fixed address, is alleged to have murdered Keeley Bunker last week.
The 20-year-old woman was pronounced dead at about 9pm on Thursday after paramedics were called to the scene near Roman Way, Tamworth.
Ambulance crew from West Midlands Ambulance Service said nothing could be done to save her.
Streete did not enter a formal plea during a 15-minute hearing at Stafford Crown Court on Wednesday
When speaking he only confirmed his name, date of birth and nationality as British.
The defendant was remanded in custody by the Recorder of Stafford, Michael Chambers QC, until a further hearing in December.
His barrister made no application for bail.
The judge told Streete: "Your case is being adjourned.
"The next hearing in this matter will be December 16, when you will be asked whether you plead guilty or not guilty to the charge."
A subsequent trial, lasting up to three weeks, has been listed to start on 16 March next year, the judge added.
Ms Bunker's family thanked people for their support in a message posted on a GoFundMe page earlier this week.
They described her as a wonderful sister, daughter and best friend who was "one of the most vibrant, caring and beautiful souls this earth has ever seen."
Staffordshire Police said a post-mortem examination took place but further tests are required.
The GoFundMe page was set up to meet the costs of Keeley's funeral and has raised more than £11,000 so far.
Floral tributes were laid at the scene last Friday afternoon as friends wrote heartfelt messages to Keeley, with one giving her the nickname "Bunker Face".
One message read: "Keeley, sending you all my love, you will be missed by all. Rest well xox."