Clive Bull 1am - 4am
Meghan Markle and Prince Harry will no longer use 'royal' in their branding from spring
22 February 2020, 11:29
Meghan Markle and Prince Harry will no longer use 'royal' in their titles as of Spring 2020, a royal spokeswoman confirmed tonight
The couple have also withdrawn their application to trademark the Sussex Royal brand name.
A spokeswoman for the pair said: "While The Duke and Duchess are focused on plans to establish a new non-profit organisation, given the specific UK government rules surrounding use of the word royal, it has been therefore agreed that their non-profit organisation, when it is announced this Spring, will not be named Sussex Royal Foundation.
"The Duke and Duchess of Sussex do not intend to use 'SussexRoyal' in any territory post Spring 2020."
The couple said on Wednesday that their lives as working royals will end on March 31 when they stop representing the Queen and become financially independent.
Harry and Meghan will embark on a new chapter in North America, but sources have stressed they "will be in the United Kingdom regularly" and retain the same charitable goals supporting causes from the Commonwealth to mental health.
The duke and duchess will attend the Commonwealth Day service at Westminster Abbey on March 9, likely to be their last official appearance as working members of the monarchy, with the Queen and other senior royals.
The event is normally attended by the Prince of Wales, Duchess of Cornwall and Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and is a major engagement in the Queen's calendar.
Harry and Meghan set up the website of sussexroyal.com which was registered in March 2019 and detailed the couple's plans for their roles in the monarchy and relationship with the media.
The @SussexRoyal Instagram account, started in April 2019, has since amassed 11.2 million followers.
An anonymous source was quoted by the Daily Mail on Tuesday, saying: "The Sussexes’ original plan – of being half-in, half-out working royals – was never going to work.
"Obviously, as the Queen has made clear, they are still much-loved members of her family.
"But if they aren’t carrying out official duties and are now seeking other commercial opportunities, they simply cannot be allowed to market themselves as royals.”
Harry and Meghan have updated their website sussexroyal.com expanding on the statement issued by their spokeswoman.
Under "additional details" it now says: "As shared in early January on this website, The Duke and Duchess of Sussex do not plan to start a 'foundation', but rather intend to develop a new way to effect change and complement the efforts made by so many excellent foundations globally.
"The creation of this non-profit entity will be in addition to their cause driven work that they remain deeply committed to. While The Duke and Duchess are focused on plans to establish a new non-profit organisation, given the specific UK government rules surrounding use of the word 'Royal', it has been therefore agreed that their non-profit organisation will not utilise the name 'Sussex Royal' or any other iteration of 'Royal.'
"For the above reason, the trademark applications that had been filed as protective measures and that reflected the same standard trademarking requests as done for The Royal Foundation of The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge, have been removed.
"While there is not any jurisdiction by The Monarchy or Cabinet Office over the use of the word 'Royal' overseas, The Duke and Duchess of Sussex do not intend to use 'Sussex Royal' or any iteration of the word 'Royal' in any territory (either within the UK or otherwise) when the transition occurs Spring 2020.
"As The Duke and Duchess of Sussex continue to develop their non-profit organisation and plan for their future, we hope that you use this site as the source for factual information. In Spring 2020, their digital channels will be refreshed as they introduce the next exciting phase to you.
"The Duke and Duchess of Sussex eagerly await the opportunity to share more with you and greatly appreciate your support!"