Ian Payne 4am - 7am
Prince Harry to sue Sun and Mirror over allegations of ‘interception of voicemail messages’
4 October 2019, 18:17
Prince Harry has begun legal action against the owners of the Sun and the Daily Mirror over allegations of phone hacking.
Buckingham Palace has confirmed that claims have been launched on behalf of the Duke of Sussex.
Court documents were filed at the High Court in London last Friday, according to Byline Investigates.
A spokesperson for owners of the Sun and the defunct News of the World, News Group Newspapers, said: "We confirm that a claim has been issued by the Duke of Sussex. We have no further comment to make at the current time."
A source at Reach plc, which owns the Mirror, told Global’s Newsroom they were aware that proceedings had been issued but had not yet received them, so they were unable to comment further.
This week the Duke and Duchess of Sussex launched separate legal action alleging the misuse of a private family letter published by the Mail on Sunday.
Harry, in a lengthy statement, accused the tabloid press of a "ruthless campaign" against his wife, adding: "I lost my mother and now I watch my wife falling victim to the same powerful forces."
Meghan is suing the Mail on Sunday and its parent company Associated Newspapers, after allegations it unlawfully published a letter she wrote to her father.
Harry is believed to have ignored the advice of some of his most senior aides over the timing of his statement, and not consulted his father the Prince of Wales or brother William.
Harry said: "Though this action may not be the safe one, it is the right one.
"Because my deepest fear is history repeating itself. I've seen what happens when someone I love is commoditised to the point that they are no longer treated or seen as a real person."
Harry said about his wife: "I have been a silent witness to her private suffering for too long. To stand back and do nothing would be contrary to everything we believe in."
A Mail on Sunday spokesman said: "The Mail on Sunday stands by the story it published and will be defending this case vigorously."