James O'Brien 10am - 1pm
Second man arrested on suspicion of Blenheim Palace gold toilet theft
17 September 2019, 16:06
A second man has been arrested on suspicion of stealing an 18-carat gold toilet worth almost £5 million from Blenheim Palace.
The plumbed-in loo, which was installed as part of an art exhibition, was taken during a burglary in the early hours of Saturday.
The theft of the sculpture from a wood-panelled room at the 18th-century Oxfordshire estate, where Sir Winston Churchill was born, caused significant flood damage.
Thames Valley Police said on Tuesday that a 36-year-old man from Cheltenham had been arrested on suspicion of conspiracy to burgle and released under investigation.
“Who’s so stupid to steal a toilet? America was the 1% for the 99%, and I hope it still is. I want to be positive and think the robbery is a kind of Robin Hood-inspired action..."— Blenheim Palace (@BlenheimPalace) September 16, 2019
- Maurizio Cattelan#RIPgoldtoilethttps://t.co/Ol7x6CfGjF pic.twitter.com/4QLBuCbgZN
It follows a 66-year-old man being arrested on suspicion of burglary and released on bail until October 9.
Investigating officer Detective Inspector Steven Jones, said: "We are continuing to investigate this incident and have made a second arrest in connection with it.
"Our priority is to locate the stolen item, and I would urge anyone with any information to contact police by calling 101."
Blenheim Palace chief executive Dominic Hare said the artwork, America by Italian artist Maurizio Cattelan, is valued at about six million US dollars (£4.8 million).
Witnesses should call the police on 101 quoting reference number URN 273 (14/9).