Shelagh Fogarty 1pm - 4pm
Stratford stabbing: 15-year-old victim named as schoolboy Baptista Adjei
10 October 2019, 17:56
One teenager has been killed and another critically injured following a stabbing outside an east London McDonalds.
The Metropolitan Police have named the 15-year-old schoolboy murdered outside the Stratford Centre as Baptista Adjei.
A second 15-year-old boy was rushed to a major trauma centre with serious injuries.
Dozens of police cars were present outside the shopping centre, as well as the London Ambulance Service.
The male was pronounced dead at the scene at 3.49pm by medics from the London Ambulance Service, an air ambulance was sent to the scene.
Witnesses said two schoolboys were injured in the attack, but their ages are currently unknown.
One stall worker told the PA news agency he had been at a cafe in the centre when he saw police arrive.
He said he saw paramedics trying to perform first aid to a "young guy" outside the entrance to the Stratford Centre.
"I saw police around here and one person was on the floor, I think they stabbed him," he said.
"It was a young guy. He was a black guy on the floor. I think the ambulance guys tried to give him first aid."
The shopping centre, in the middle of Stratford, has been cordoned off.
A witness tweeted: "There's a stabbing in the mall Stratford, east London."
"Hope everyone will be ok and stay away from it."
Newham MPS posted: "Detectives are investigating after a male teenager was fatally stabbed outside Stratford Broadway at 1520hrs today.
"Crime scene remains in place. Section 60 now in place.
"Anyone with information to call police on 101 quoting reference 4644/10Oct or Crimestoppers via 0800 555 111."
A section 60 Criminal Justice and Public Order Act 1994 has been authorised for the whole of the London Borough on Newham, from 1600 hrs today until 0700 hrs on Friday 11th October 2019. pic.twitter.com/RyphMD0qb0— Newham MPS | North East BCU (@MPSNewham) October 10, 2019
Detective Chief Inspector Chris Soole, who is leading the investigation said: “First and foremost are thoughts are with this young man’s family and friends. They so tragically are having to come to terms with this terrible loss of life
“The victim of this stabbing was a schoolboy with his whole life ahead of him. He had everything to live for. This was a senseless attack and we share the concern and alarm this murder will no doubt cause in the local community. We will do everything we catch those involved and bring them to justice.
“What we know now is that the victim was attacked on or shortly after alighting from a bus which stopped very close to Stratford Shopping Centre near Tramway Avenue. An altercation took place and he was fatally wounded.
“Were you there? Did you see anything? This is a very busy area and lots of people would have been out on the school-run or making their way home. We know that the victim’s friends came to his aid and members of the public provided first aid at the scene. We need anyone else who has information and has not yet spoken to police to come forward.
“A Section 60 is in place for the whole of Newham borough as a result of this incident. Enquiries, including review of local CCTV footage and forensic analysis is in hand. We are working quickly to build a clear and full picture of precisely what unfolded. If you have information, do the right thing and get in touch.”