London Bridge terrorist died after being shot 'multiple times' in torso

4 December 2019, 15:13

Usman Khan died after being shot in the chest and abdomen
Usman Khan died after being shot in the chest and abdomen. Picture: PA

By Kate Buck

London Bridge terrorist Usman Khan died from multiple gunshot wounds to the chest and abdomen, the opening of an inquest at the Old Bailey has heard.

His two victims, Saskia Jones, 23, and 25-year-old Jack Merritt both died after suffering a stab wound to the chest.

The Cambridge University graduates were attacked during a prisoner rehabilitation event at Fishmongers' Hall last Friday afternoon.

Convicted terrorist Khan, who was living in Stafford, was later identified as their killer and chased out of the hall and onto London Bridge.

Armed with two knives and wearing a fake suicide vest, he was tackled by members of the public, including ex-offenders from the conference, before he was shot dead by police.

On Wednesday, City of London senior coroner Alison Hewitt opened and adjourned inquests into the victims' deaths at the Old Bailey.

The court heard Ms Jones had graduated from Cambridge University in the summer of 2018 with a master's in criminology and had applied to join West Midlands Police.

Jack Merritt died after being carried out of Fishmongers' Hall
Jack Merritt died after being carried out of Fishmongers' Hall. Picture: Facebook

She was said to be "passionate about victim support" and planned to use her role in the police to further her PhD at Oxford University.

Mr Merritt also had a master's degree in criminology at Cambridge having already completed a law degree at Manchester University.

Both Ms Jones and Mr Merritt had been at the Fishmongers' Hall event when they were stabbed, the hearing was told.

Detective Superintendent Des McHugh said: "On Friday November 29 2019 an event was held at Fishmonger's Hall, London Bridge.

"At 1.58pm police were contacted with reports that a male was attacking delegates at the event within Fishmongers' Hall.

"Armed officers attended the scene. Upon their arrival the male had left the building and was being restrained on London Bridge by several members of the public. The male was subsequently shot by police."

Saskia Jones was pronounced dead at the scene
Saskia Jones was pronounced dead at the scene. Picture: PA

Ms Jones was pronounced dead at 2.25pm, the court heard.

Mr Merritt was moved from the scene to nearby King William Street where he was pronounced dead at 3.14pm, despite efforts to save him.

Post-mortem examinations found Mr Merritt and Ms Jones died from "shock and haemorrhaging" and a "stab wound to the chest", the Metropolitan Police officer said.

Mr Merritt, from Cottenham, near Cambridge, was a co-ordinator for Learning Together, a programme associated with Cambridge University's Institute of Criminology.

Miss Jones, from Stratford-upon-Avon, Warwickshire, was a volunteer for the programme which aims to bring offenders and people in higher education to study alongside each other.

Three more people were injured in the attack, two of whom are said to remain in a stable condition in hospital while the third has returned home.

Ms Hewitt confirmed Chief Coroner for England and Wales, Mark Lucraft QC, would hear the full inquests on a date to be fixed.

The fresh inquests come just months after the conclusion of the Old Bailey inquests into the deaths of eight innocent people during the 2017 London Bridge terror attack.