Two police officers seriously injured after Fife motorway crash

7 October 2019, 08:54

The crash took place between junctions 4 and 5 of the M90
The crash took place between junctions 4 and 5 of the M90. Picture: Google Street View

By Megan White

Two police officers have been seriously injured after they were involved in a crash while responding to reports of a drunk driver.

One officer was left with "neurological injuries" after the marked car he was driving crashed on the M90 near Kelty in Fife, Scotland.

Another officer suffered back injuries in the one-vehicle incident which happened around 9.40pm on Sunday.

They had been responding to a report of a drunk driver when the marked BMW 330 patrol car left the road and stopped on a grass verge.

The Scottish Fire and Rescue Service was called at 9.58pm, with three engines sent to the scene.

Fire crews removed the driver and he was taken to Edinburgh Royal Infirmary, before being transferred to Western General Hospital in Edinburgh for treatment to neurological injuries.

The passenger was taken to Ninewells Hospital in Dundee with back injuries.

Chief Superintendent Stewart Carle, head of the Road Policing Unit, tweeted that his thoughts were with "both my officers" after the crash.

He wrote: "I heard dreadful news just after 11PM last night that a @polscotrpu crew crashed on M90 near Kelty responding to report of drunk driver, & seriously injured.

"Grateful to motorists who assisted rescue & 999 responders who gave treatment. Thoughts with families of both my officers."

The Scottish Fire and Rescue Service were called to the scene at 9.58pm with three engines sent to the scene.

Chief Inspector Mark Patterson, from Road Policing East, said: "The officers in the patrol car were responding to the report of a drunk driver on the motorway when the collision happened.

"Our thoughts are with both officers and their families at this time.

"I would appeal to anyone who may have witnessed this collision to call Police Scotland on the 101 number quoting the incident reference number 3798 6/10."

The road reopened around 9.20am on Monday.