Man given indecent images by paedophile who sent them to disgraced presenter Huw Edwards spared jail

17 December 2024, 13:32

Huw Edwards
Huw Edwards. Picture: Alamy

By Emma Soteriou

A man who was provided with child abuse images by the convicted paedophile who shared similar material with former newsreader Huw Edwards has been spared jail.

Listen to this article

Loading audio...

Jac Davies, 25, was given a sentence of 12 months, suspended for two years, after pleading guilty to possession of indecent images of children and possession of Class A drugs.

Davies was investigated after South Wales Police discovered he was found to have been involved in the sharing of images with Alex Williams, Leeds Magistrates' Court was told on Tuesday.

Edwards was previously spared jail at Westminster Magistrates' Court after admitting accessing indecent images of children as young as seven.

The 63-year-old admitted three charges of "making" indecent photographs after he was sent 41 illegal images by Williams over WhatsApp.

Read more: Disgraced presenter Huw Edwards puts six-bedroom Dulwich home up for sale for £4.75m

Read more: Huw Edwards' sentence won't be reviewed despite claims of leniency, after he avoids jail for child abuse images

Prosecutor Michelle Kruger said: "South Wales Police had been dealing with Alex Williams.

"As part of the investigation into that individual, this defendant was found to have been involved in indecent images being shared.

"Also involved... was a link between Alex Williams and Huw Edwards, the BBC News presenter.

"Both Williams and Mr Huw Edwards have been dealt with by the courts, and Huw Edwards, who you will be aware of, received a suspended sentence for the indecent images he was involved in."

Davies' defence lawyer Stewart Page told the court: "I think it's incumbent upon me to mention that you also need to consider parity on sentence.

"You are aware of a certain individual who was sentenced a number of months ago - he too had no previous convictions.

"The offences that that individual appeared before the court were similar to what Mr Davies appears, and of course you are aware, because the prosecutor outlined this, that a suspended sentence was imposed on that case."

Huw Edwards at Westminster Magistrates' Court
Huw Edwards at Westminster Magistrates' Court. Picture: Alamy

The court heard that West Yorkshire Police attended Davies' home after being alerted to the investigation into Williams and Edwards.

While he was at the police station, his electronic devices were seized by officers, who found 84 indecent images, including some involving babies.

Addressing the most serious images found, known as category A images, Ms Kruger said: "One of them was a moving image in a bedroom location showing a baby lying on a bed."

Ms Kruger said an adult male could be seen performing a sex act on the infant.

The prosecutor said other images featured boys aged three to five.

The court heard Davies was found to be in possession of 36 category A images, 30 category B and 18 category C.

Ms Kruger said a Telegram chat was also uncovered by officers which showed Davies speaking to others about how he wanted to "destroy newborns" and going into "graphic detail" about what he would do to them.

He was also charged with possession of Class A drugs after methylamphetamine and cocaine were found, it was said.

Davies sat in front of the dock pulling tissues from a box and wiping his eyes as Mr Page said he was "whether he realises it or not, probably the victim of sexual exploitation himself during his younger years".

The defence lawyer said a pre-sentence report described "a very difficult background with the defendant dealing with his sexuality".

Mr Page told magistrates: "You have here an individual who has clearly shown remorse when seen by both probation officers. He understands what he has done is wrong."

As well as the suspended jail term, Davies was ordered to attend an accredited sexual offending group work programme of no more than 43 days, and 55 rehabilitation activity requirement days.

Davies was also told he would be prohibited from having any unsupervised contact with any child under the age of 16, except in the presence of a parent or another appropriate adult.

He will remain on the sex offenders' register for 10 years.

More Latest News

See more More Latest News

Breaking
Breaking News

M5 closed in both directions after body found on motorway, sparking police investigation

Lucy

Expert panel claims 'no criminal offences committed' in Lucy Letby case after bombshell new report into baby deaths

The Sentinelese are a pre-Neolithic tribe that rejects contact with the modern world

US tourist arrested for sailing to remote island and leaving a can of Coke for the world's most isolated tribe to try

Full runners and riders confirmed for Saturday's Grand National

Grand National 2025 runners and riders confirmed as full 34-horse line-up revealed

Exclusive
Sophie Bannister and April-Levi Whalley have posted celebratory social media posts after dodging jail for drug smuggling

'Can't wait to enjoy our summer': Drug smuggling best friends celebrate after dodging jail over suitcases full of cannabis

The Trump administration has been ridiculed after imposing tariffs on uninhabited islands

'No one is safe, not even the penguins': Trump administration ridiculed after imposing tariffs on uninhabited islands

Uriah Rennie is 'learning to walk again'.

Premier League's first black referee, Uriah Rennie, 'learning to walk again' after he was left paralysed

Two people died in the explosion in Newcastle

Man, 33, admits manslaughter and drugs charge after devastating house explosion in Newcastle left two dead

j

Glamorous drug smuggling friends found guilty of bringing cannabis to UK - after New York 'shopping trip'

Greenpeace activists scaled a building outside the Foreign Office

Greenpeace activists scale Foreign Office building over signing of ocean treaty

Spain celebrates winning the FIFA Women's World Cup 2023 in Australia

UK poised to host 2035 Women’s World Cup

Lucy Letby

Lawyer for killer nurse Lucy Letby to hand over 'fresh' evidence he hopes will clear her name

World leaders react to US tariffs

'This is not the act of a friend': World leaders react to Trump's 'unwarranted' tariffs

The millionaire businesswoman has called for an urgent safety review by TfL after the emergency Help Point failed in a central London station.

Millionaire businesswoman abandoned on Tube platform by staff after 'traumatising' assault

British couple

British couple found dead in New Zealand named - as police probe possible murder-suicide

Virginia Giuffre said she had been left with 'four days to life' after the crash

Bus driver breaks silence on Virginia Giuffre crash that left her 'with four days to live'