Richard Spurr 4am - 7am
Glastonbury Festival cancelled for second year running
21 January 2021, 12:52 | Updated: 21 January 2021, 14:13
Glastonbury Festival has been cancelled for a second year running due to the coronavirus pandemic, organisers have confirmed.
It had been hoped that the celebration of music and arts would be able to go ahead in 2021, after it was called off in 2020 on what would have been 50th anniversary.
Earlier this month, Emily, the daughter of founder Michael, dismissed speculation that it had been axed.
However, a statement from the pair said: "With great regret, we must announce that this year's Glastonbury Festival will not take place, and that this will be another enforced fallow year for us.
"In spite of our efforts to move Heaven & Earth, it has become clear that we simply will not be able to make the Festival happen this year. We are so sorry to let you all down.
With great regret, we must announce that this year’s Glastonbury Festival will not take place, and that this will be another enforced fallow year for us. Tickets for this year will roll over to next year. Full statement below and on our website. Michael & Emily pic.twitter.com/SlNdwA2tHd— Glastonbury Festival (@glastonbury) January 21, 2021
"As with last year, we would like to offer all those who secured a ticket in October 2019 the opportunity to roll their £50 deposit over to next year, and guarantee the chance to buy a ticket for Glastonbury 2022.
"We are very appreciative of the faith and trust placed in us by those of you with deposits, and we are very confident we can deliver something really special for us all in 2022!
"We thank you for your incredible continued support and let's look forward to better times ahead.
"With love, Michael & Emily."
The festival at Worthy Farm in Somerset was sold out for 2021 because so few people have asked for a refund from last year, when headliners Sir Paul McCartney, Taylor Swift and Kendrick Lamar were all due to perform.
Very sad to see Glastonbury is not taking place this year.— Sacha Lord (@Sacha_Lord) January 21, 2021
As well as a blow to customers, the whole team behind it and artists, I cannot but help think it's yet another blow to the thousands of freelancers who work it.
They will be back next year, bigger, bolder and stronger.
Rob Da Bank, radio DJ and co-founder of the Bestival music festival, which was last held in 2018, said he is "optimistic" other events will be able to go ahead over the summer.
He tweeted to say that he thinks "festival season will happen in the UK this summer", adding: "Sadly Glasto is such a mammoth beast to plan it ran outta time."
Sacha Lord, co-founder of Mancheter's Parklife festival, said Glastonbury's cancellation is "yet another blow" to freelancers who work in the music industry.
Mr Lord, who is also Greater Manchester's night-time economy adviser, said in a tweet: "Very sad to see Glastonbury is not taking place this year.
"As well as a blow to customers, the whole team behind it and artists, I cannot but help think it's yet another blow to the thousands of freelancers who work it.
"They will be back next year, bigger, bolder and stronger."