Talks to restart Israel-Hamas truce break down, as IDF issues fresh evacuation orders for southern Gaza

2 December 2023, 13:20

The war is continuing as talks to restart the truce have broken down
The war is continuing as talks to restart the truce have broken down. Picture: Getty

By Kit Heren

Talks to restart the truce between Israel and Hamas broke down on Saturday, as Israeli negotiators were recalled from talks by Benjamin Netanyahu.

Listen to this article

Loading audio...

Some 193 people have been killed in Gaza, and 650 wounded, since the Israel-Hamas war restarted on Friday morning, according to local Hamas-affiliated authorities.

Israel launched its armed forces back into the conflict at the end of the seven-day truce, focusing strikes on the southern Gaza strip this time. The Israeli military said it had struck 400 Hamas targets with air strikes, tank fire and its navy since Friday morning.

Israeli intelligence agency Mossad had been in talks to restart the truce in Qatar, but Mr Netanyahu's office said they had been recalled.

The discussions had focused on the possible release of new hostages, and the parameters for a second truce. Some 105 hostages were returned during the original seven-day ceasefire, in exchange for 240 Palestinian prisoners being let out of Israeli prisons.

Read more: 'Hamas will now take the mother of all thumpings' for not releasing all kidnapped women, says Israel

Read more: Israel-Hamas war restarts as truce deadline expires, as both sides blame each other for breaching ceasefire terms

Palestinians inspecting the damage in the rubble of a building destroyed during Israeli bombardment in Deir Balah in the central Gaza Strip
Palestinians inspecting the damage in the rubble of a building destroyed during Israeli bombardment in Deir Balah in the central Gaza Strip. Picture: Getty

Previous efforts had largely concentrated on the north of the territory, where Hamas has traditionally been strongest. Hundreds of thousands of people had been told by Israel to move to southern Gaza, away from the worst of the fighting.

But on Friday morning, residents of Khan Younis, a large city in the south, were told to leave the city to shelter areas because it would soon become a combat zone.

And Saturday saw Israel's first use of a map that divided Gaza into numbered sections. Israel has told residents to work out which section they live in, in case of an evacuation order.

The first order to evacuate came for people living in the areas of Al-Qarara, Khirbet Khuza'a, Abasan, Bani Suhaila and Ma'an. They were told to go to shelters in Rafah/

The UN has criticised the use of the map, questioning how people are supposed to access it with frequent outages in electricity and internet access.

Palestinians inspect the damage in the rubble of a building destroyed during Israeli bombardment in Rafah
Palestinians inspect the damage in the rubble of a building destroyed during Israeli bombardment in Rafah. Picture: Getty

Over 15,000 people have been killed in Gaza since the start of the war, which was sparked when Hamas launched attacks into southern Israel, killing 1,200 and taking more than 240 people hostage.

The US, Israel's biggest ally and backer, had earlier urged the IDF to protect civilians better during the next stage of the conflict.

US Secretary of State Anthony Blinken said: ""This is going to be very important going forward. It's something we're going to be looking at very closely."

Palestinians inspect a building damaged during Israeli bombardment
Palestinians inspect a building damaged during Israeli bombardment. Picture: Getty

A man who fled from northern Gaza to Khan Younis a month ago with his wife and three children said: "There is no place to go.

Emad Hajar added:"They expelled us from the north, and now they are pushing us to leave the south."

Rockets are fired toward Israel from the Gaza Strip, as seen from southern Israel, Friday, Dec. 1, 2023.
Rockets are fired toward Israel from the Gaza Strip, as seen from southern Israel, Friday, Dec. 1, 2023. Picture: Alamy

It comes after an Israeli spokesperson blamed the end of the truce on Hamas, who “decided to terminate the pause” by not releasing all the female hostages the terrorist group had kidnapped on October 7.

Eylon Levy said: “Having chosen to hold onto our women, Hamas will now take the mother of all thumpings.”

It follows the end of a truce deal with Gaza – which had allowed for the release of Palestinian prisoners, hostages and aid.

Mr Levy claimed his government had already approved a list of Palestinian prisoners who could have been freed in return for Hamas hostages.

He said the militant group failed to meet its "obligations" and therefore missed out on a chance to extend the week-old pause in fighting by another two days.

Hamas threw the blame back, saying Israel had “persistently” rejected offers of hostage releases.

Within minutes of the truce expiring, Israeli air strikes pounded the Gaza Strip.

Reports also suggested tanks were being repositioned within the area.

The Israel Defence Force confirmed “warplanes” would start focusing again on Gaza.

It also claimed Hamas first broke the truce, firing rockets before it was due to end at 7am local time (5am GMT).

With Israel continuing its brutal offensive on its Palestinian neighbour, the United Nations Secretary-General Antonio Guterres was prompted to show “deep regret”.

“I still hope that it will be possible to renew the pause that was established," he added.

Palestinians injured in Israeli airstrikes arrive at Nasser Medical Hospital on December 01, 2023
Palestinians injured in Israeli airstrikes arrive at Nasser Medical Hospital on December 01, 2023. Picture: Getty

Despite the ceasefire coming to an end, Qatar confirmed it was still negotiating an extension to the ceasefire.

The Ministry of Foreign Affairs said on Friday they were continuing talks “with the aim of returning to a pause”.

On the same day, Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu claimed Hamas had not respected “its obligation to release today all the abducted women and launched rockets toward the citizens of Israel”

He insisted the “government of Israel is obliged to accomplish the targets of the fighting”, including the release of hostages and “to liquidate Hamas”.

Mr Levy said Hamas was still holding 137 hostages, 10 of which were over the age of 75.

More Latest News

See more More Latest News

File photo dated 19-05-2024 of Manchester City's Kevin De Bruyne lifting the Premier League trophy with team-mates.

Kevin De Bruyne to leave Manchester City, as Pep Guardiola calls him 'one of greatest midfielders to play in England'

Stock markets plummeted on Friday

Starmer 'pushing for Trump royal visit this year' as UK bids for US trade deal - after tariffs spark turmoil in markets

Tom Howard

British tourist killed after being struck by boulder on trek through Himalayas

In this photo provided by the Ukrainian Emergency Service, a car burns following a Russian missile attack that killed more than a dozen people, including children, in Kryvyi Rih, Ukraine, Friday, April 4, 2025. (Ukrainian Emergency Service via AP)

Russia kills 16 people including three children in missile strike on Zelenskyy's home town, with dozens wounded

Travel influencer Mykhailo Viktorovych Polyakov, 24, made an illegal visit to North Sentinel Island

Tourist who left Coke for world's most isolated tribe 'could have wiped them all out' - and police 'can't go collect can'

Club house covered in red paint as members of group Palestine action caused damage to the Trump owned site of Trump Turnberry Golf Club in Scotland.

Police arrest man, 33, and woman, 55, after Donald Trump's Scottish golf course vandalised with red paint

Man, 23, who gouged out pensioner's eyes before beating him to death with his own walking stick locked up indefinitely

Man, 23, who gouged pensioner's eyes out before beating him to death with his own walking stick locked up indefinitely

The FTSE 100 plummeted on Friday

UK stock market plunges amid Trump tariff chaos as FTSE 100 suffers worst trading losses in five years

The scene at Beckenham Place Park

London park evacuated as police search for teenage boy who went missing while swimming in lake

Tommy Robinson pictured last year

Tommy Robinson in bid for freedom with appeal against contempt of court jail sentence after libelling teen refugee

Layla Allen died at the scene

'Cherished beyond words': Family pay tribute to 'shining light' 13-year-old killed in Merseyside house fire

Russell Brand

Russell Brand breaks silence after actor and comedian charged with rape and sexual assaults

White House weighs in to support ‘censored’ anti-abortion activists in Britain

White House looking to support ‘censored’ anti-abortion activists in Britain

Sean "Diddy" Combs.

Sean 'Diddy' Combs charged with two further counts of sex trafficking

XL Bully (FILE)

XL Bully on the loose after drive-by shooting in Sheffield as police issue urgent safety warning

Peter Serafinowicz and Sarah Alexander have split.

Amandaland star and comedian Peter Serafinowicz splits from actress wife after 23 years