King Charles set for first public appearance since cancer diagnosis as royals attend Easter church service

31 March 2024, 07:38 | Updated: 31 March 2024, 10:03

The King's scheduled appearance this morning is 'a sign of things heading in the right direction' a source has claimed.
The King's scheduled appearance this morning is 'a sign of things heading in the right direction' a source has claimed. Picture: Alamy/Buckingham Palace
Kieran Kelly

By Kieran Kelly

King Charles is to join Queen Camilla and other members of the Royal Family today as he makes his first major public appearance since his cancer diagnosis.

Listen to this article

Loading audio...

The King will attend an Easter Matins service this morning but will sit with Camilla - separate from the main congregation -amid his ongoing cancer treatment.

An arrangement was made by the King’s medical team in a bid to protect his health.

The Prince and Princess of Wales will not attend the service, as Kate continues her cancer treatment.

This will be the most significant public appearance Charles has made since revealing his diagnosis back in February.

King Charles led the Royals to a Christmas day service in Sandringham
King Charles led the Royals to a Christmas day service in Sandringham. Picture: Alamy

The King has been seen leaving Buckingham Palace and has hosted private audiences, but has stepped back from his public duties.
Now a source has told The Telegraph that the King’s appearance at the service is a “sign of things heading in the right direction”.

He is expected to walk into the church with the Queen, and provided the schedule goes ahead as planned, will enter through the Galilee Porch at St George’s Chapel in Windsor.

Aides said that the King’s attendance at any event is “to be hoped for and planned for rather than assumed”, depending on his health.

Read more: King Charles says he is 'serving the nation with my whole heart' in Easter message

Read more: King Charles and Queen Camilla will attend Easter service at Windsor - but William and Kate will miss event

King Charles has continued to host select guests in Buckingham Palace since his diagnosis.
King Charles has continued to host select guests in Buckingham Palace since his diagnosis. Picture: Alamy

A source told the outlet the arrangements for Charles had been considered an “acceptable” environment and level of risk for the King two months into his cancer treatment.

They also described the plans as “turning the dial” toward resuming his ordinary programme, which will reportedly include the King hosting more guests for engagements at the palace as the summer approaches.

Buckingham Palace has not confirmed which royals will be attending the Sunday service, although it is expected to be a smaller congregation than normal to protect the King from the risk of infection.

The royals will attend the Easter Matins Service between 10.45am and 11.45am.

It comes after Kate revealed last week that she had also been receiving treatment for cancer following her surgery in January.

Royal fans sent their well-wishes to Princess Kate earlier this week.
Royal fans sent their well-wishes to Princess Kate earlier this week. Picture: Alamy

She was due to return to public duties after Easter but is now expected to come back later.

As a result, William and Kate will not be attending the Sunday service.

It comes after the King made his first public speech on Thursday since the Princess of Wales revealed her cancer diagnosis.

The message was broadcast at a Maundy Thursday church service in Worcester Cathedral. Charles expressed his "great sadness" that he couldn't be there. However, Queen Camilla deputised for him at the service.

Charles has stepped back from large-scale public duties since his cancer diagnosis.

Ordinarily, he would have hoped to attend the service at Worcester Cathedral, where the monarch traditionally hands out purses full of Maundy Money.

More Latest News

See more More Latest News

Donald Trump signs an executive order imposing tariffs on imported goods

'Liberation Day' explained: What are Trump's tariffs and how will they impact the UK?

The blurry thieves stole £3,000 worth of cigarettes and vapes.

Police release CCTV after thieves steal £3,000 of vapes - but images leave the public calling for 'the ghostbusters'

Julie Goodyear

Julie Goodyear's husband shares rare photo of Coronation Street star two years on from dementia diagnosis

: An aerial view shows the scorched graveyard around a church following a large blaze the previous day, on July 20, 2022 in Wennington, Greater London

Londoners urged not to have barbecues this weekend amid soaring temperatures 'because of wildfire risk'

Lord Sugar labels Trump tariffs 'a disaster' as Apprentice star teases potential US Presidential meeting

Lord Sugar labels Trump tariffs 'a disaster' and warns that the president 'hasn't thought it through'

Mother and two children struck and killed by a vehicle in Brooklyn, New York: driver operating suspended license

Husband left 'utterly bereft' after Brit mum and two daughters killed in New York car crash

The Nintendo Switch 2 will release on June 5, 2025

Nintendo Switch 2: Exciting reveal, but why is it more expensive here?

BRITAIN-FUNERAL-POLICE

Funeral director charged with 64 offences including fraud, theft and preventing 30 lawful burials

swallow-tail

Brits urged to 'stop mowing lawns' amid 'national butterfly crisis' with more than half of species in decline

Kyle Kitchen, 38, murdered eight-week-old Primose Kane

Dad who murdered daughter by violently shaking her as baby is jailed for life

Buildings that were destroyed during the Israeli ground and air operations in Gaza

Israel expands ground attack on Gaza to seize 'large areas' - despite pleas from hostage families

Douglas Clifton Brown, 56, tried to kill his estranged wife

Old Etonian who tried to murder his estranged partner by throwing her down a 240ft well is jailed for 24 years

Kaliyah Coa, 11, was reportedly down at the water when she was 'swept away'

Pictured: Missing 11-year-old 'swept away' while paddling in the River Thames

Hot cross buns could be scarce this Easter as farmers continue to protest against Rachel Reeves' 'tractor tax'.

Hot cross bun shortage looms as farmers escalate 'tractor tax' protests

Tanesha Melbourne-Blake was shot

Teenage girl shot dead during gang 'ride-out' following social media humiliation

Mother and two children struck and killed by a vehicle in Brooklyn, New York: driver operating suspended license

Brit mum and daughters, eight and five, killed in crash by driver who said 'I have the devil in me'