Strictly Come Dancing pro 'sacked' after claims of gross misconduct towards former partner Zara McDermott

13 July 2024, 14:14 | Updated: 13 July 2024, 14:45

Strictly Come Dancing professional dancer Graziano Di Prima has been sacked by the BBC
Strictly Come Dancing professional dancer Graziano Di Prima has been sacked by the BBC. Picture: Alamy

By Will Conroy

Strictly Come Dancing professional dancer Graziano Di Prima has been "sacked" after claims were made of gross misconduct towards his partner on last year’s series, Zara McDermott.

Listen to this article

Loading audio...

The Italian dancer had his contract terminated this week after a meeting with Strictly bosses, according to the Mail on Sunday.

The 30-year-old was due to appear on the upcoming series until being contacted by the programme’s executives, who wanted to question him about his behaviour, with one show source saying: “Graziano had to go. It has been awful.”

Di Prima joined the show in 2018 and reached week six with Zara last year after reaching the quarter-final with actor Kym Marsh in 2022.

NEW: Strictly Come Dancing pro Graziano Di Prima breaks silence after being 'sacked' following misconduct claims

Graziano and Zara were on the show together last year
Graziano and Zara were on the show together last year. Picture: PA

A BBC spokesperson confirmed that Di Prima was "no longer a part of the line-up of professional dancers for the upcoming series".

"While we would never comment on individual cases, it is well-known that the BBC has established a robust duty of care procedures, and if issues are raised we will always take them seriously and act swiftly as appropriate,” they said.

The reported sacking of the Sicily-born dancer potentially provides an explanation for the return of popular pro Aljaž Škorjanec, two years after he quit.

Di Prima's removal has also further increased the scrutiny on the BBC dance show, which is still watched by over ten million people, after it plunged into crisis due to a bullying investigation.

The complaint about Di Prima was made recently and prompted the BBC to extend the inquiry that was ongoing over claims that another former professional, Giovanni Pernice, had bullied his partner Amanda Abbington during training.

Pernice was accused of adopting "militant" training methods for his celebrity partners
Pernice was accused of adopting "militant" training methods for his celebrity partners. Picture: Alamy

Pernice has been accused of adopting "militant" training methods for his celebrity partners.

Reports have emerged that his partner from last year, Amanda Abbington, is considering fresh legal action amid accusations Pernice had refused to release their rehearsal videos.

Three of Pernice’s former partners on the show - Laura Whitmore, Michelle Visage and Abbington - have allegedly all contacted a legal firm with complaints about him.

Di Prima joined the show in 2018 and reached week six with Zara last year
Di Prima joined the show in 2018 and reached week six with Zara last year. Picture: Instagram/ZaraMcDermott

However, sources on the show claim that Di Prima's behaviour makes Amanda's claims that Giovanni bruised her toe during rehearsals seem “miniscule.”

One said: “It seems that whatever Gio has done it opened a can of worms.

“It is incredibly brave of Zara to have come forward, it is never easy for a woman or indeed anyone who has been mistreated to do that.”

More Latest News

See more More Latest News

Breaking
Breaking News

Girl, 13, dies in horror Merseyside house fire as five children escape unharmed

File photo of a Harris hawk

Dive-bombing hawk that terrorised village with string of blood-soaked attacks finally caught by local hero

Exclusive
'Donald Trump has made Putin comfortable,' Mikhail Khodorkovsky has warned

'Trump has made Putin comfortable' despite massive Ukraine war losses, exiled former oligarch tells LBC

New images show the moment the two ships collided.

New images show moment of North Sea crash as investigation reveals neither ship had a 'dedicated lookout'

Washington, DC, USA. 15 Apr 2017. A balloon caricature of President Donald Trump appears at the Tax March protest near the U.S. Capitol.

Buy US chlorinated chicken in return for lower tariffs, Trump tells Britain

From jeans to jet fuel and firearms to whiskey: Britain unveils lengthy list of US items facing tariffs

From jeans to jet fuel and firearms to whiskey: Britain unveils lengthy list of US items facing tariffs

Forensic investigators at Milton Keynes train station after a man was shot dead by armed police officers.

Knifeman shot dead by police in Milton Keynes after moving 'at speed' towards officers named for first time

The bodies of Andrew Searle and his wife Dawn were discovered by a neighbour.

British couple found dead in south of France home being ‘treated as murder-suicide’

Kerri Pegg, former governor of HMP Kirkham,

Prison governor denies relationship with drug boss 'Jesse Pinkman' after flip flops carrying his DNA found in her flat

Julie Goodyear as Bet Lynch. Her husband has now deleted a recent photograph of the actress which he shared in honour of her 83rd birthday on Wednesday

Julie Goodyear's husband removes rare photo of Coronation Street star after dementia diagnosis amid blacklash

The vehicle was later extinguished after the driver, covered in flames, emerged from the vehicle.

Amsterdam Dam Square car explosion sees driver engulfed in flames - just days after mass stabbing

Kanye West confirms that him and Bianca Censori have split.

Kanye West confirms split from wife Bianca Censori as rapper claims she 'tried to have me committed'

d

Pictured: US tourist arrested for sailing to remote island and leaving a can of Coke for world's most isolated tribe

The female athlete took a knee instead of competing against a transgender athlete in a fencing tournament.

Fencing row erupts as US athlete takes knee instead of competing against transgender athlete

Luton Airport

Luton Airport expansion plans approved by transport secretary despite environmental concerns

police officer uk jacket

Boy, 15, locked up after stabbing girl, 13, with sword and leaving her to die by side of motorway