Donald Trump tests negative for coronavirus

15 March 2020, 08:44

Donald Trump has tested negative for coronavirus
Donald Trump has tested negative for coronavirus. Picture: PA
Nick Hardinges

By Nick Hardinges

US President Donald Trump has tested negative for the Covid-19 strain of coronavirus, the White House physician has confirmed.

The US leader was forced to take a test after meeting with a Brazilian delegation, some of whom later tested positive for the disease, at his Florida resort.

However, on Saturday, his personal physician Sean Conley confirmed Mr Trump did not have the virus: "This evening I received confirmation that the test is negative."

Among those to have met with the US chief was Fabio Wajngarten, an aide to Brazilian President Jair Bolsonaro. Mr Wajngarten was later diagnosed with Covid-19.

Mr Bolsonaro was also rumoured to have tested positive for the disease, however he later announced his test also came back negative.

"One week after having dinner with the Brazilian delegation in Mar-a-Lago, the president remains symptom-free," Mr Conley added.

Mr Trump, 73, "decided to take the test" following a press conference on Friday in which he faced a barrage of questions about his well-being.

US advice suggests people self-isolate for 14 days if they have come into contact with someone who has been confirmed to have the illness.

The country has more than 2,700 confirmed infections, with 54 deaths.

UK Prime Minister Boris Johnson spoke to the US leader on the phone about the steps being taken in Britain to tackle coronavirus.

It followed the president's decision to extend the Europe-wide travel ban to both British and Irish citizens. The new restrictions will come into force early on Tuesday, our time.

Mr Trump declared a national state of emergency on Friday, meaning $50 billion (£40 billion) will be put towards fighting the pandemic.

The US leader had previously called the Covid-19 outbreak "a new hoax" that was being used by the Democrats to undermine his presidency.

Elsewhere, the wife of Spain's Prime Minister Pedro Sanchez has tested positive for coronavirus. The Spanish government confirmed Begoña Gómez and her husband were staying at the prime minister's residence at La Moncloa in Madrid and were both doing well.

Spain has become Europe's second-worst-hit country after Italy and has since been put on lockdown.

More Latest News

See more More Latest News

Creating a sexually explicit "deepfake" image is to be made an offence under new legislation

Creating sexually explicit ‘deepfake’ images to be treated in same way as 'bomb-making,' minister says

Australia Church Stabbing

Knife attack against bishop and priest being treated as terrorism, police say

Inside the health retreat in Australia

Suspected 'mushroom' drink poisoning at Australian health retreat as woman dies and two others are rushed to hospital

Greece Olympics Paris Flame Lighting

Paris Olympics flame to be lit at Greek cradle of ancient games

Holly Willoughby has teased her TV return

'It's happening' Holly Willoughby teases TV return after This Morning exit

Speaking to LBC's Nick Ferrari at Breakfast, Lord Kim Darroch the former UK National Security Advisor for his assessment of the performance of "the current PM, the man who was PM and the man who wants to be PM"

Rishi Sunak has 'left the pitch free' for Lord Cameron to be Foreign Sec and 'toughen the line on Israel', says former diplomat

Iran's direct assault: Escalation in Israeli-Hamas conflict signals a broader regional shift

Iran's direct assault and escalation in Israeli-Hamas conflict signals a broader regional shift

Israel will aim to 'minimise civilian casualties'

Israel planning ‘painful’ strike on Iran despite Western calls for calm after unprecedented missile attack

Greater Manchester Police said it is aware of the footage

Shocking moment ‘child steals police car’ and reverses it along pavement while officer chases suspect on foot

Trump Hush Money

Trump to return to court after first day of trial ends with no jurors picked

Susan Hall plans to extend the Night Tube to the Hammersmith & City line

Susan Hall announces plans to expand Night Tube in bid to 'revive' London’s night economy

A girl was allegedly attacked in the early hours of Friday morning, police have said

Police release CCTV images of man after schoolgirl, 16, ‘raped in Liverpool city centre’

The attacker is 15, police say

Sydney church stabbing declared a terror attack ‘motivated by religious extremism’ - as teenage boy arrested

Indonesia Landslide

Bodies of final victims recovered after Indonesia landslides that killed 20

The family moved from Bedfordshire to Portugal in 2016

Brit family hounded out of Portugal told their situation 'wasn't desperate enough' for help after returning to UK

Culture Secretary Lucy Frazer

Trans athletes should be banned from competing against women, says Culture Secretary Lucy Frazer