Hundreds of schools still in dark over concrete safety fears as pressure grows on ministers to reveal full list

4 September 2023, 09:18 | Updated: 7 September 2023, 11:31

Pressure is growing for the list of affected schools to be published
Pressure is growing for the list of affected schools to be published. Picture: Alamy/LBC

By Asher McShane

Teachers and pupils at hundreds of schools still have no idea whether they will be teaching in unsafe buildings as pupils return to classes after the summer holidays.

Listen to this article

Loading audio...

Ministers have faced calls to speed up inspections to identify the dangerous concrete after admitting on Sunday it could be months before the full extent of the crisis is known.

While at least 156 schools have been affected so far, the extent of the problem is not yet clear, with the Department for Education so far failing to publish a full list.

Gillian Keegan is set to appear in the Commons on Monday to make an emergency statement addressing the issue. She said a full list would be published this week.

She told LBC today: "Each school has had a case worker assigned and I just want to go round that loop to check that they have been able to get hold of all of the parents and every parent knows."

She is expected to face renewed demands to publish a full list of the schools affected as the Commons returns from its summer recess.

It comes after the chancellor, Jeremy Hunt, said over the weekend that he would “spend what it takes to sort out this problem as quickly as possible” and that the government is doing “everything we can” to resolve it.

He said the government is carrying out an “exhaustive” surveying programme in schools but added: “Obviously, we might find new information in the weeks or months ahead.”

Jeremy Hunt said the government will spent 'what it takes' to resolve the crisis.
Jeremy Hunt said the government will spent 'what it takes' to resolve the crisis. Picture: Alamy

Read more: 'We're doing everything we can' to protect schools from risky concrete, Hunt says, as Labour urges govt to 'come clean'

Read more: Children could remain in ‘building site’ classrooms for years to come amid growing concrete safety concerns

The estimated cost of the crisis to the taxpayer has been put at hundreds of millions of pounds, according to the Times.

This will be taken from existing school budgets for infrastructure, sparking fears it may have a knock-on effect on other repairs in schools.

A source at the education department told the outlet that the repairs had been cut back because “the politics is always in favour of a new school building than rebuilding existing ones”.

But fears remain that “thousands” more buildings could still be at risk of collapse from the crumbling concrete.

Mr Hunt has so far refused to say how many buildings were affected by the crisis, adding he did not want to “speculate” as he denied claims that austerity measures were responsible.

Labour's Shadow Education Secretary Bridget Phillipson told LBC the government's response has been "completely unacceptable", urging the government to release a full list of affected schools.

“Here we are, 13 years on, we’re facing major problems…with crumbling schools and the potential for huge disruption to lots of our children at the start of the school term," Ms Phillipson told LBC.

Students are set to return to school this week.
Students are set to return to school this week. Picture: Alamy

"I think that’s completely unacceptable but I also believe ministers need to come clean about the full extent of all of this. We still don’t have a full list of schools that have been affected.

"I’m not sure we can be confident that they’ve captured all of the schools that have this crumbling concrete within them."

A Department for Education (DfE) spokesperson said: “We have been clear since Thursday about the number of schools immediately impacted by RAAC. It is vital that schools are given time to inform parents and consider their next steps, with extensive support from our caseworkers, before the list of affected schools is published.

“The education secretary will inform parliament next week of the plan to keep parents and the public updated on the issue.

“Fifty-two of the 156 RAAC cases identified already have mitigations in place, and while some of the remaining projects will be more complex, many will range from just a single building on a wider estate, down to a single classroom.

“We are incredibly grateful to school and college leaders for their work with us at pace to make sure that where children are affected, disruption is kept to a minimum, and in the even rarer cases where remote learning is required, it is for a matter of days not weeks.”

More Latest News

See more More Latest News

Exclusive
You can run for president for United states but you can’t be a member of the House of Lords

Shadow Health Secretary says size of House of Lords ‘out of control’ and introducing an ‘80 year limit is the right balance’

Muslim pilgrims under umbrellas against the heat

Muslims start the Hajj against the backdrop of Israel-Hamas war

Simon Rowe Kent Police mugshot

Killer dad-of-two jailed for 13 years after beating 'bragging' serial paedophile to death

Guy Mukendi, 39, was sentenced to four years and three months in prison.

Man who removed condom without consent during sex jailed four years in rare ‘stealthing’ conviction

Exclusive
England fans have been warned not to sing 'Ten German bombers' at the Euros. Picture shows fans during a game against Germany in 2021

‘We will intervene’: German police warn England fans coming to the Euros don’t sing Ten German Bombers

Rishi Sunak has said he is still fighting for every vote, despite a poll showing his party is behind Reform UK

Rishi Sunak defiant despite Reform UK overtaking Tories in poll as he insists he's 'fighting for every vote'

REM reunited

REM reunite at Songwriters Hall of Fame ceremony

The TikTok tearaway was handed a community order at court on Thursday.

TikTok prankster Mizzy avoids jail after stealing phone from woman and fleeing police

Sabrina Peckham was eaten by the alligator

Horrifying footage shows bloated 14ft alligator that dragged homeless mother into canal and ate her

Huge queues have appeared at Birmingham Airport again this morning

‘Will they ever get a grip?’ Huge queues at Birmingham airport again as passengers report ‘carnage at 4am’

Geoff Hurst is England's last surviving World Cup winner

England's World Cup hero Geoff Hurst shares heartbreaking update after losing every teammate from 1966

Live
Nigel Farage's reform outpaces the Tories in the polls.

General Election LIVE: Reform passes Tories in polls, second half of the election kicks off

The man was seen nibbling on the boy's ear

Snooker fan breaks silence after being seen 'nibbling boy's ear' during World Championship

People socialising and drinking at a pub in London in summer

Calls to cut alcohol duty as Euros begin, as British drinkers 'pay 10 times as much as tax per pint as in Germany'

Italy G7

G7 leaders tackle the issue of migration on the second day of summit in Italy

Kate Rackham

'If you're reading this it means I've died': Cancer patient's last message as she leaves behind husband and two children