Pictured: Family killed in 'bloodbath' stabbing in London that left four dead

26 April 2022, 11:49 | Updated: 26 April 2022, 11:55

Samantha Drummonds was killed just after she moved into the home
Samantha Drummonds was killed just after she moved into the home. Picture: Social media/Getty

By Will Taylor

A granddaughter who was stabbed to death with three relatives moved into the house just a week before the attack.

Listen to this article

Loading audio...

Samantha Drummonds had just arrived to stay at the house in Bermondsey, South London, while her own flat was undergoing renovation.

But she was killed alongside her mother, Tanysha Drummonds, Dolet Hill, her 64-year-old grandmother, and her partner, Denton Burke.

A friend told Mail Online: "She didn't want to stay in the flat while the work was being done so the last thing she said to me was 'I'm going away for a week, I'll see when I'm back'.

"She took her cat and left."

Neighbours reported hearing screams coming from a woman in the early hours of the morning as the "bloodbath" unfolded.

Dolet Hill, named by a family member at the scene, was described as a "loving and generous" grandmother by her niece Venecia Reid.

Ms Hill was found with stab wounds at an address in Delaford Road, South Bermondsey, at about 1.40am on Monday.

The other victims in her family were also stabbed.

Despite attempts to save them, all four died at the scene. Their next of kin are being contacted.

A man in his late 20s was arrested on suspicion of murder and was taken to a South London police station, where he is still in custody.

Ms Hill's niece said she had two daughters and two grandchildren, while locals said she worked as a housekeeper at the nearby Guy's Hospital in Southwark.

Ms Reid, who was visibly upset, told reporters: "She was very loving, very kind, very generous.

"She worked very hard in this country to support her two girls and her two grandkids.

"She does not deserve this."

The family are believed to be Jamaican, according to Ms Reid.

Chief Superintendent Colin Wingrove said the first officers on scene arrived to a "dreadful discovery" after being alerted by neighbours.

He said it is a "deeply shocking incident" and officers are doing all they can to support those who knew the victims.

"I want to offer my heartfelt condolences to the family and friends of all those concerned," he said.

"This is a deeply shocking incident and we will do everything we can to provide support to everyone affected at this difficult time."

Police believe all five people were known to each other and detectives from the Met are investigating.

Chief superintendent Colin Wingrove declined to say if the perpetrator, who police believe acted alone, was a relative of the victims.

The middle section of Delaford Road is blocked off with metal fencing.

Several uniformed officers can be seen within the cordon on the residential street, where three white forensic tents have also been erected.

Anne Birkett, whose rear bedroom looks onto the property, said she was woken up by sirens and a helicopter hovering overhead just before 2am.

Read more: Boris Johnson tells Angela Rayner 'Basic Instinct' claim was not made in his name

Four people have been stabbed to death in south London.
Four people have been stabbed to death in south London. Picture: Getty

However, she and her husband did not go outside their house to look at what was happening.

"It's devastating, you hear all of this but you never assume it's going to be right on your own doorstep," she said.

"I'm a foster carer and I've got children in my care. and now I've got to protect them now because of what's happened."

A pensioner whose house overlooks the scene said: "There were loads of police and paramedics working on the victims outside. It looked like a bloodbath - a scene of carnage.

Four people have been stabbed to death in the Bermondsey area of London.
Four people have been stabbed to death in the Bermondsey area of London. Picture: Getty

"They were my neighbours, I think. A lovely couple. I can't believe anyone would want to hurt them."

They added: "I saw a load of police jump out of their cars with guns. There were about eight police cars, several ambulances, and some of them were going door to door.

"They came to the back garden to make sure our door was secure. It was about 2am. We didn't hear anything else - we were just told to stay inside."

A neighbour who lives two doors down said she saw ambulances take the victims away in the early hours of Monday.

"I saw the bodies come out," the elderly woman, who did not want to be named, said.

Like other local residents, she said she was woken in the night by police sirens and the sound of a helicopter.

The woman, who lives on the corner of Delaford Road and Bramcote Grove, said she knew "him and her", but did not provide further details.

The mayor of London, Sadiq Khan, said: "Heartbroken to hear that three women and a man were killed last night in a devastating incident at an address in Southwark.

Read more: Chaos in Paris: Police shoot dead two as riots break out over Macron's re-election

Read more: Sue Gray Partygate report 'is so damning Boris could be forced to quit as PM'

"My thoughts are with the family & friends of those who have lost loved ones in this awful crime. An investigation is underway and a man has been arrested."

Harriet Harman, the MP for Camberwell and Peckham, arrived at the scene on Monday morning and talked to police.