Shelagh Fogarty 1pm - 4pm
No-Deal Brexit Internal Government Document Revealed
2 August 2019, 16:08
Food shortages, tensions in Northern Ireland, invalid citizen rights and conflict between vessels in the sea all form part of a government no-deal Brexit document, Sam Coates tells Shelagh Fogarty.
Sky News Deputy Political Editor, Sam Coates explained how a document obtained by Sky New shows what could happen in the first month of a no-deal Brexit.
Mr Coates called the one page slide from a presentation prepared by civil service ministers "pretty striking reading".
He explained that it's divided into three categories:
1) What would happen in the first day of a no-deal Brexit
2) What would happen in the first fortnight of a no-deal Brexit
3) What would happen in the first month of a no-deal Brexit
Sam Coates said it highlights:
- Cross-border trade on the first day stopping in Northern Ireland
- Food shortages and food disruption
- Some people finding their citizenship rights in member states are no longer valid
- Vessels around the British sea coming into conflict with European vessels due to the ambiguity surrounding fishing rights.
- Tensions rising and "distress" in Northern Ireland due to heightened tension around the border
EXC: On Sky News now: we’ve obtained a “sensitive” internal Whitehall slide which makes sober reading about the first month of a no deal brexit. It warns of— Sam Coates Sky (@SamCoatesSky) August 1, 2019
- “consumer panic”
- “law and order challenges” in NI
- security gaps
- Brits abroad return
Produced before BJ became PM pic.twitter.com/2liueLqqeE
Mr Coates said the document is not entitled "worst case scenarios" but instead is called "what could happen on the ground".
He says some Brexiteers have criticised the document saying it's "nonsense" and "scaremongering".
Sam Coates said he sees the document as "a checklist of the things Boris Johnson's government must now avoid" if they are to opt for a no-deal Brexit, which looks "increasingly likely" given the plans they have.
Watch the full exchange in the video at the top of the page.