Nick Ferrari 7am - 10am
Tommy Robinson arrested as thousands gather in London for march against anti-Semitism
26 November 2023, 15:19 | Updated: 26 November 2023, 20:02
Tommy Robinson has been arrested after joining thousands of protesters in London for a march against anti-Semitism.
Listen to this article
The English Defence League founder was escorted away by more than a dozen police officers after arguing with them for around 10 minutes.
There had been fears that Mr Robinson could disrupt the protest - organised by charity Campaign Against Antisemitism - after he was previously seen among the crowds of counter-protesters who clashed with police on Armistice Day.
Police confirmed a 40-year-old man had been arrested close to the Royal Courts of Justice, from where the demonstration began on Sunday afternoon.
In a statement, the Met said: "We have been in frequent contact with the organisers of the march in recent days.
"They have been clear about their concerns that the man's attendance, and that of those who were likely to accompany him, would cause fear for other participants.
"The same view has been voiced by others.
"As a result, he was spoken to and warned on more than one occasion that his continued presence in the area was likely to cause harassment, alarm and distress to others.
"He was directed to leave the area but refused to do so."
Officers working as part of the policing and security operation for the March Against Antisemitism have arrested a 40-year-old man on the Strand.— Metropolitan Police (@metpoliceuk) November 26, 2023
He refused to comply with a direction to disperse under Section 35 of the Antisocial Behaviour, Crime and Policing Act.
Former prime minister Boris Johnson was among the thousands of people participating in the demonstration - a day after pro-Palestinian crowds also gathered in the capital to demand a ceasefire in Gaza.
A truce between Hamas and Israel is still holding, with the release of a third group of hostages and Palestinians from Israeli prisons coming late on Sunday.
Security minister Tom Tugendhat also joined celebrities including Tracy-Ann Oberman, Rachel Riley and Robert Rinder at the march.
It comes after engagement manager for Campaign Against Antisemitism Binyomin Gilbert told LBC News a survey had found half of British Jews have considered leaving the UK amid a "staggering" rise in discrimination.
Nearly 70 per cent of Jews in the UK have also held back from showing visible signs of being Jewish, findings showed.
There have since been weekly pro-Palestine rallies in London, in which Campaign Against Antisemitism says there have been "genocidal chants, Hamas-style headbands, antisemitic placards and calls for jihad".
"We have seen a 1300% increase in anti-Semitism," Mr Gilbert said.
"And this is staggering. And in fact I can release to you today the results of a survey of British Jews, which has shown us that 69%, nearly 70% of British Jews are saying that they are now less likely to show visible signs of their duties.
"It also shows us that half of British Jews have considered whether they need to leave the UK due to anti-Semitism."
He said "there's a lot of fear and concern" for British Jews at the moment.
Addressing the pro-Palestine marches through the capital, Mr Gilbert said: "What we've seen is large scale marches week after week.
"In fact, there were protests happening before Israel had retaliated in the streets of London.
"And we have seen in those marches, calls for intifada, we've seen support for organisations that want Jews dead."
He went on: "When we have racists turn up at our rallies, we pull them out.
"When we have people turn up in our rallies who want to try and manipulate and politicise anti-Semitism and cast one minority group against another, we have been unequivocal."
He said he is confident there will not be violence but "positive displays of the Jewish community and its allies standing up and saying this is what British values mean".