Minister in new French government denies rape claims

23 May 2022, 12:04

New French minister of solidarity Damien Abad
France New Government. Picture: PA

Damien Abad was a last-minute prize for Mr Macron’s Renaissance party that may backfire if the scandal does not quickly fade.

A brewing scandal over accusations of rape by a minister in France’s newly named government could taint its first Cabinet meeting – which is meant to focus on purchasing power.

The appointment of Damien Abad on Friday had already been mocked by the right because it came a day after he left his conservative mainstream party for President Emmanuel Macron’s centrists.

Now Mr Abad, the minister in charge of policies for the disabled and social welfare, faces accusations of assaulting two women over a decade ago — which he firmly denies and says would be impossible given his own disability.

Mr Abad was a last-minute prize for Mr Macron’s Renaissance party that may backfire if the scandal does not quickly fade.

New Prime Minister Elisabeth Borne, the second woman named to the post, said on Sunday that she was unaware of the allegations surrounding Mr Abad, but “there will be no impunity” in such cases for members of the government if judicial authorities step in.

However, she was not clear at what point in legal proceedings she would remove a government member.

Mr Abad arrives at the Elysee Palace for the fist cabinet meeting since French President Emmanuel Macron ‘s reelection
Mr Abad arrives at the Elysee Palace for the fist cabinet meeting since French President Emmanuel Macron ‘s reelection (Michel Spingler/AP)

Mr Abad, who was born with arthrogryposis, a condition that affects the joints and muscles, said in a statement on Sunday that the “accusations concern acts or gestures which are simply impossible for me due to my disability”.

He said he was forced to make clear that “the sexual act can only take place with the assistance and help of my partner”, and allegations by one of the women “that I could drug, carry, undress and rape an unconscious woman are simply inconceivable and abject”.

The allegations made by the two women were revealed on Saturday, a day after the new government was announced, by the investigative online publication Mediapart.

In one case, a complaint was filed in 2017 and later thrown out.

No legal action has so far been taken in the other case, although a watchdog women’s group said it had notified leading members of Mr Macron’s centrist party and Mr Abad’s previous party about the complaints on May 16 — four days before the government was announced.

The timing could not be worse for Mr Macron who is trying to keep his parliamentary majority in legislative elections in June so that he is free to move forward with his agenda on all fronts.

The growing scandal over Mr Abad has somewhat drowned out an uproar over the newly appointed education minister, Pap Ndiaye, a historian who had previously headed the National Museum of the History of Immigration.

He is being challenged by the rightist opposition for being too “woke” — for example, for allegedly taking part in gatherings that excluded white people.

He has not commented.

By Press Association

Latest World News

See more Latest World News

President Joe Biden listens as Judge Ketanji Brown Jackson speaks

Ketanji Brown Jackson to be sworn in as US Supreme Court justice

An investigator works outside the Bataclan concert hall (Christophe Ena/PA)

Life without parole for surviving extremist who carried out Paris attacks

A shark is seen swimming across a sand bar (Phil Marcelo/AP)

Great white sharks head to Cape Cod as busy tourist season gets under way

Police outside the Bataclan concert hall in Paris (Catherine Wylie/PA)

Men convicted of involvement in 2015 terror attacks in Paris

Salah Abdeslam is believed to be the only surviving member of the group that killed 130 people in the 2015 Paris attacks

Islamic State member found guilty of mass murder for 2015 Paris terror attacks

Vatican Pope Pelosi

Pro-choice Nancy Pelosi receives communion at Vatican despite home city ban

Workers clear debris at the Kremenchuk shopping centre damaged in the Russian rocket attack

Search ongoing for 20 missing after Russian strike on Ukraine shopping centre

People attend a community vigil for the dozens of people found dead in a trailer in San Antonio

‘Difficult process’ identifying Texas lorry trailer death victims – authorities

World Health Organisation chief Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus

US abortion ruling ‘a setback’ that will cost lives, says WHO chief

Dutch farmers protesting against government plans gather for a demonstration at Stroe

Dutch PM condemns farmers’ protests at minister’s home

Cassidy Hutchinson, former aide to Trump White House chief of staff Mark Meadows, is sworn in by committee chairman Bennie Thompson

Trump dismissed January 6 threats and wanted to join crowd, says former aide

India Killing

Hindu tailor killed in cleaver attack amid religious tensions in India

The superyacht Amadea, which was seized by the US from a Russian oligarch

£25bn from Russian oligarchs frozen in multinational seizure effort

Travis Barker is been hospitalised in LA

Travis Barker's family plea for 'prayers' after drummer hospitalised with mystery illness

Airbnb has permanently banned parties at all its properties

Airbnb permanently bans parties at all properties around the world

Capitol Riot Investigation

Trump was told protesters had weapons on January 6, former aide says