Venezuela’s main opposition bloc agrees on candidate to challenge Maduro

20 April 2024, 05:44

Venezuela Ecuador Mexico
Venezuela Ecuador Mexico. Picture: PA

Saturday was the deadline to make his candidacy final.

Venezuela’s main opposition coalition agreed on Friday to unite behind former diplomat Edmundo Gonzalez as its challenger to President Nicolas Maduro in this summer’s election, acting one day before the deadline to formalise its candidate.

The decision was reached unanimously by the 10 parties in the Unitary Democratic Platform, Omar Barboza, the coalition’s executive secretary, said after a five-hour meeting that included discussions of other possible candidates.

The bloc had been allowed to provisionally register Mr Gonzalez on March 26 after the government came under a wave of criticism when opposition leaders said they were blocked from registering their candidate of choice.

Saturday was the deadline to make his candidacy final.

Pictures of the Week Latin America and Caribbean Photo Gallery
Maria Corina Machado was banned from running for office (Ariana Cubillos/AP)

The opposition group needed to replace its first candidate, Maria Corina Machado, who easily won a primary organised by the bloc in October but was barred by the government from running after the ruling party-controlled State Comptroller’s Office disqualified her from holding public office for 15 years.

Mr Maduro’s administration has cracked down on the opposition before the July 28 presidential election despite promises to pave the way to fair elections in exchange for sanctions relief.

The Biden administration on Wednesday reimposed crushing oil sanctions, criticising Mr Maduro’s moves.

The governments of Colombia and Brazil also have expressed concern, and Guatemalan President Bernardo Arevalo accused Mr Maduro’s government of “consolidating an anti-democratic system”.

Venezuelan foreign minister Yvan Gil has called the criticism a “gross interference in matters that only concern Venezuelans”.

Mr Maduro, a self-proclaimed socialist leader, officially launched his candidacy last month for a third term that would last until 2031.

The election is likely to have more than 10 candidates, but except for the main opposition coalition, none are expected to pose a threat to Mr Maduro’s power base.

By Press Association

Latest World News

See more Latest World News

Hunter Biden

Hunter Biden’s impending gun trial mired in disagreements over evidence

Uvalde Shooting-Anniversary

Families of Uvalde victims sue Meta, video game maker and gun firm

Sean Kingston House Raid

Sean Kingston and mother alleged to have committed million dollars of fraud

OBIT Caleb Carr

Caleb Carr, military historian and author of The Alienist, dies at 68

US Kenya

US defence secretary Lloyd Austin to undergo medical procedure

France Syria Torture Trial

Paris court sentences three Syrian officials in absentia for war crimes

WHO Pandemic Treaty

Efforts to draft pandemic treaty falter as countries disagree on future response

Palestinian flag outside ICJ

Top UN court orders Israel to halt military operation in Rafah

Israel Palestinians

Egypt says it will send aid trucks into Gaza through Kerem Shalom crossing

Belarus Russia

Putin questions Zelensky’s legitimacy as Ukraine’s leader

Australia US Pilot

Sydney judge allows extradition of US ex-fighter pilot accused of training Chinese

Vatican Pope Millennial Saint

Italian teenage computer ace set to become first millennial generation saint

Director Morgan Spurlock attends a special screening of ‘RATS’ on August 26, 2013 in New York City.

Super Size Me filmmaker Morgan Spurlock dies at 53

Warships

China deploys dozens of warplanes and ships near Taiwan

Syria IS

British woman and three children linked to IS in Syria handed to UK delegation

Morgan Spurlock has died aged 53.

Super Size Me documentary maker Morgan Spurlock dies aged 53