Elon Musk accuses Australia of censorship after court bans stab attack video

23 April 2024, 10:14

Elon Musk
Australia Church Stabbing. Picture: PA

Prime Minister Anthony Albanese responded by calling Mr Musk an ‘arrogant billionaire’ who considered himself above the law.

Tech billionaire Elon Musk accused Australia of censorship after a judge in the country ruled that his social media platform X must block users worldwide from accessing video of a bishop being stabbed in a Sydney church.

Prime Minister Anthony Albanese responded on Tuesday by describing Mr Musk as an “arrogant billionaire” who considered himself above the law and was out of touch with the public.

X Corp, the tech company rebranded in 2023 by Mr Musk after he bought Twitter, announced last week it would fight Australian orders to take down posts relating to a knife attack on Bishop Mar Mari Emmanuel in an Assyrian Orthodox church as a service was being streamed online on April 15.

=Australian Prime Minister Anthony Albanese, right, at a candlelight vigil
Australian prime minister Anthony Albanese, right, criticised Mr Musk in several television interviews (Mark Baker/AP)

The material was geoblocked from Australia but available elsewhere.

But the regulator that made the orders, Australia’s eSafety Commission – which describes itself as the world’s first government agency dedicated to keeping people safer online – successfully applied to the Federal Court in Sydney for a temporary global ban on sharing the video of the bishop being stabbed.

In an after-hours hearing on Monday, Justice Geoffrey Kennett suppressed the footage from all X users until Wednesday, when an application for a permanent ban would be heard.

Hours later, Mr Musk posted on his personal X account a cartoon that depicted a fork in a road with one path leading to “free speech” and “truth” and the other to “censorship” and “propaganda”.

Mr Musk cited Mr Albanese telling reporters on Monday that other social media platforms had largely complied with the regulator’s orders to take violent content down.

“I’d like to take a moment to thank the PM for informing the public that this platform is the only truthful one,” Mr Musk posted.

Mr Albanese berated Mr Musk in several television interviews on Tuesday.

“We’ll do what’s necessary to take on this arrogant billionaire who thinks he’s above the law, but also above common decency,” Mr Albanese told Australian Broadcasting Corp.

“The idea that someone would go to court for the right to put up violent content on a platform shows how out of touch Mr Musk is.

“Social media needs to have social responsibility with it.”

Mr Albanese told Sky News: “This is a bloke who’s chosen ego and showing violence over common sense.”

“This isn’t about censorship. It’s about common sense and common decency. And Elon Musk should show some,” Mr Albanese told Seven Network.

The regulator’s lawyer, Christopher Tran, had argued in court on Monday that geoblocking Australia did not meet the definition of removal of the footage under Australian law.

Mr Tran said the footage was a “graphic and violent video” that would cause “irreparable harm if it’s continuing to circulate”.

X’s lawyer, Marcus Hoyne, said he was unable to get instructions from his San Francisco-based client because it was early Monday morning in
the United States.

A police forensic officer works at a crime scene at the Christ the Good Shepherd church in Wakely in western Sydney
Police attended the scene of the stabbing at the Christ the Good Shepherd church in Wakely in western Sydney on April 15 (Mark Baker/AP)

X did not immediately respond on Tuesday when asked if and how the company had complied with the court order.

Mr Musk has described eSafety commissioner Julie Inman Grant as the “Australian censorship commissar”.

Mr Albanese said on Monday that social media posts, misinformation and dissemination of violent images had exacerbated suffering from the church attack, which the two clerics survived, as well as a knife attack at a Sydney shopping mall two days earlier that killed six people.

A 16-year-old boy accused of the stabbings has been charged with terrorism offences. He has received online condemnation and praise for the attack.

By Press Association

Latest World News

See more Latest World News

Villagers search through a landslide in Yambali village in the Highlands of Papua New Guinea

Papua New Guinea’s government says landslide buried 2,000 people

Rafah airstrike that killed dozens of Palestinians was 'tragic mistake', says Israel's Netanyahu

Rafah airstrike that killed dozens of displaced Palestinians was 'tragic mistake', says Israel's Netanyahu

Biden

Biden says each generation has to ‘earn’ freedom in Memorial Day remarks

APTOPIX Israel Palestinians

Netanyahu acknowledges ‘tragic mistake’ after Rafah strike kills dozens

North Korea fails to launch 'spy satellite' into orbit again - but forces Japanese island to 'take cover'

North Korea fails to launch 'spy satellite' into orbit again - but forces Japanese island to 'take cover'

Kim Jong-un and North Korean flag (Alamy/PA)

North Korea says its attempt to put another spy satellite into orbit has failed

Austria IAEA

Iran further increases stockpile of uranium enriched to near weapons-grade level

Elon Musk in 2024

Elon Musk’s xAI raises six billion dollars to develop artificial intelligence

Racial and Gender Equity in European Football Conference – Thursday February 1st – City Ground

Ex-France footballer Karembeu says two of his relatives killed in New Caledonia

Palestinians look at the destruction after an Israeli strike where displaced people were staying in Rafah

Israel faces new condemnation over Rafah strikes

A man looks at a damaged car after a tornado in Valley View, Texas

At least 20 dead as storms carve path of destruction across southern US

Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy, left, is welcomed by Spain’s Prime Minister Pedro Sanchez

Zelensky visits Spain in pursuit of weapons for Ukraine to fight Russia with

Vehicles move through a waterlogged street in Kolkata, India

Cyclone floods villages, blows away roofs and cuts power in Bangladesh and India

Iran’s acting president Mohammad Mokhber

Iran’s acting president addresses parliament after fatal helicopter crash

Around 15,000 locals took part in the protest

15,000 anti-tourism protesters boo holidaymakers in Majorca as organisers vow 'this is just the start'

Demonstrators with Georgia flags at a protest against the bill

Georgian parliament committee rejects presidential veto of media law