Ian Payne 4am - 7am
Roadmap out of lockdown: Key dates for lockdown lifting in the UK
2 March 2021, 10:58 | Updated: 8 March 2021, 14:52
The roadmap out of lockdown has officially begun with children going back to school in lockdown. But what are the other key dates? And what steps are in place?
With children in England now back to school, the first step of the "roadmap to recovery" - the government lockdown roadmap outlines key steps, 1, 2, 3 and 4 and dates as to when pubs, restaurants, non-essential shops and even weddings can begin to resume normal service.
Boris Johnson also confirmed life will be relatively back to normal by June should the Covid-19 vaccine scheme continue to provide positive results and data.
So what is the roadmap out of lockdown and the steps to Covid recovery? What are the key dates for lockdown easing? And what are steps 1, 2, 3 and 4 in the roadmap? Here’s the latest information:
Pubs and restaurants to open from 12 April outside
What is Step 1 of the roadmap out of lockdown?
Step one of the roadmap to recovery begins on 8 March where primary and secondary schools will reopen again meaning wraparound childcare can also resume.
Exercise or recreation outdoors with one other person is also permitted, however, the message to remain at home still remains strong.
A second stage of step 1 also begins on 29 March where the rule of 6 outdoors is allowed again along with outdoor sports. Outdoor parent and child groups of up to 15 can also begin again.
What is Step 2 of the roadmap out of lockdown?
If all goes well and the four tests to carry on with the roadmap are passed, step 2 will begin around 12 April.
This will be confirmed a week in advance but from this date in England:
- Gym and indoor leisure will reopen.
- The rule of 6 outdoors continues but no mixing indoors.
- Outdoor attractions such as zoos, theme arks and drive in cinemas to open.
- Eating outdoors will be permitted.
- Non-essential shops to reopen.
- Person care premises to resume business.
- Libraries and community centres to open.
- Household over night stays permitted.
- Indoor children’s activities resume.
What is Step 3 of the roadmap out of lockdown?
At least five weeks after step 2, and along as all four tests are passed, step 3 allows the following to begin again from 17 May.
- Indoor entertainment and attractions
- 30 person limit outdoors.
- Rule of 6 or two households can meet indoors.
- Organised indoor adult sport.
- Domestic overnight stays.
- Remaining outdoor entertainment including performances.
- Remaining accommodation to open.
- International travel review.
What is Step 4 of the roadmap out of lockdown?
At least five weeks after Step 3 and no earlier than 21 June, the following will be permitted as life returns to some normality.
- Nightclubs to reopen.
- No legal limits on social contact.
- Larger events.
- And no legal limits on all life events.