Police shut down 250 person wedding secretly held in London

24 October 2020, 15:18

Police shut down the wedding, which breached Tier 2 rules
Police shut down the wedding, which breached Tier 2 rules. Picture: PA

The Metropolitan Police said officers had shut down a wedding of around 250 guests as a "flagrant breach" of Covid-19 regulations.

The force said officers were called to a venue on Old Kent Road at 8.20pm on October 18 after concerned residents suspected it was being burgled.

London is under Tier 2 alert restrictions.

"It appeared that those attending the ceremony had closed the shutters at the front of the venue, in an attempt to mask the celebration," the force said in a statement.

Read more: Wedding venue owner faces £10,000 fine after 100 guests attend reception

Read more: Farm owner faces £10,000 fine after 'hundreds' attend wedding

Officers dispersed the crowd at the scene, with the bride and one other person, who was not the groom, told they had been reported for the consideration of a fixed penalty notice.

Police said the reports will be considered by a dedicated crime team who will assess the breach in line with the legislation.

New wedding rules are beyond ridiculous, bride-to-be tells LBC

Rules for Tier 2 areas say wedding and civil partnership ceremonies and receptions can only take place in "Covid-secure" venues or in public outdoor spaces, with the number of guests restricted to 15.

Detective Superintendent Nicky Arrowsmith said: "This event was a blatant breach of the regulations and could have been a breeding ground for transmitting the virus.

"There were over 200 people inside, no social distancing and indeed no attempts to make the venue Covid secure, in line with the Government guidelines.

"The guidelines are there for a reason, to keep people safe.

"Being reported for a fine is clearly not a wedding present people would be expecting, however as this was such a flagrant breach of the regulations, it was entirely necessary."

Wedding photographer explains his situation amid lockdown delay

Meanwhile, the organiser of a party in Manchester attended by more than 50 people has been handed a £10,000 fine for a "blatant disregard" of Covid-19 regulations.

Police were called to a flat in Simpson Street, Angel Meadows, shortly after 11.20pm on Friday.

DJ mixing decks, industrial speakers and a buffet were found by officers, with around 50 people in attendance, Greater Manchester Police said.

The force said the party was closed down and the organiser given a £10,000 fixed penalty notice for breaching coronavirus legislation - one of the first issued since Greater Manchester entered Tier 3 restrictions.

GMP said 52 fines, for a range of rule breaches and of varying amounts, have been handed out since the area's new alert status came into force on Friday.

Assistant Chief Constable Mabs Hussain said: "This party was a blatant disregard of the rules and for public health.

"It is totally unacceptable in the current crisis the whole world is facing and is not what we want our officers to be spending their time doing.

"We had no alternative but to issue the maximum penalty for breaching the legislation on large gatherings and I hope this serves as a reminder to those considering to flout the rules - we will take action."

In Tier 3 locations, people are not allowed to meet socially with friends and family indoors in any setting unless they are part of the same household or in a support bubble.

Outdoor meetings in public parks or gardens are permitted for gatherings up to a maximum of six people.

Those breaking the rules risk a £200 fine for the first offence, doubling for further offences up to a maximum of £6,400.

Someone holding, or involved in holding, an illegal gathering of more than 30 people can face a fine of £10,000.

More Latest News

See more More Latest News

A boy, 8, was killed in the incident.

Boy, 8, dies after crash on quiet Wiltshire cul-de-sac

Five of the six victims from the stabbing have been named.

Victims of Sydney stabbings named as heartbroken tributes flood in following attack by knifeman who killed six

The Israeli Iron Dome air defence system launches to intercept missiles fired from Iran

Israel hails ‘success’ in blocking Iran’s unprecedented attack

Rishi Sunak confirmed a number of Iranian drones attacking Israel were shot down by RAF jets.

RAF jets shot down ‘a number’ of Iranian drones attacking Israel, Rishi Sunak says

A demonstrator waves Iranian and Palestinian flags during an anti-Israeli gathering at the Felestin (Palestine) Square in Tehran, Iran

What is the fallout from Iran’s attack on Israel?

Disability advocate Charlotte Anderson advises people on how to apply for PIP.

YouTuber who fills out PIP applications for £650 each says she has ‘only ever lost one claim in six years’

Planning documents show the owners of the pub want to rebuild it in a new location.

Owners of Crooked House agree to rebuild ‘Britain’s wonkiest pub’ - providing it's in a new location

Joe Biden has reaffirmed the US's commitment to defending Israel's security.

Biden reaffirms ‘ironclad support' of Israel as he plans G7 meeting to coordinate ‘diplomatic response to Iran attack’

The IDF said over 300 weapons were fired by Iran.

‘Together we will win’: Netanyahu vows to fight off attacks from Iran after over 300 drones and missiles fired at Israel

Israeli's military have fought off a massive Iranian drone and missile attack - downing more than 200 weapons launched by the hostile state with the help of ace RAF pilots.

Israel fights off massive Iran attack - downing over 200 missiles and drones with help of RAF

Plans have been drawn up for an evacuation of Brits from the Middle East. Defence Secretary Grant Shapps (l) and protesters outside the British Embassy in Tehran (r)

Brits living in the Middle East could be rescued by the Royal Marines in 'Dunkirk-style' evacuation

The knifeman who killed six people in a rampage at a Sydney shopping centre has been named as 40-year-old Joel Cauchi (left)

Pictured: Sydney knifeman, 40, who killed six people before being shot dead by brave policewoman

Iranian drones and missiles have arrived in Israel with explosions in the skies - as officials warn of a "significant response" to the massive attack.

Explosions in skies and sirens across Jerusalem amid Iranian attack - as Israel warns of 'significant response'

USS Bataan which is heading to the Eastern Mediterranean (main) and Joe Biden (r)

US sends amphibious warship and 2,500 Marines into the Eastern Mediterranean after Iran attacks Israel

US and UK forces are helping defend Israel from Iranian drones and missiles after a massive attack was launched.

British and American jets 'shoot down Iranian drones' as Rishi Sunak slams Iran for 'reckless' attack against Israel

President Biden is holding an emergency national security meeting as the US prepares its response to Iran's drone and missile attack on Israel.

President Biden holds high-stakes emergency meeting as Iran launches full-scale attack on Israel