Harry Dunn's alleged killer Anne Sacoolas won't face court next week

14 January 2022, 14:05 | Updated: 14 January 2022, 14:12

Harry Dunn was killed after a car crashed into his motorbike on August 27, 2019
Harry Dunn was killed after a car crashed into his motorbike on August 27, 2019. Picture: Alamy

By Daisy Stephens

Harry Dunn's alleged killer will no longer face a court hearing scheduled for next week, to enable "ongoing discussions" with the Crown Prosecution Service to continue.

Listen to this article

Loading audio...

The CPS previously said in a statement that the 44-year-old's case would be heard at Westminster Magistrates' Court on Tuesday, but the hearing has now been vacated.

Mrs Sacoolas is accused of causing death by dangerous driving following a fatal road crash outside US military base RAF Croughton in Northamptonshire on August 27 2019.

The suspect had diplomatic immunity asserted on her behalf by the US government following the collision, and was able to leave the UK 19 days after the incident.

Read more: Resolution reached between parents of Harry Dunn and his alleged killer

Read more: Harry Dunn's mum says she can 'still feel his hugs' 18 months on from his death

In a statement issued on Friday, the CPS said: "Following engagement between the parties, the hearing on January 18 at Westminster Magistrates' Court has been vacated.

"This is to enable ongoing discussions between the CPS and Anne Sacoolas's legal representatives to continue.

"Mrs Sacoolas has a right to a fair trial. It is extremely important there should be no reporting, commentary or sharing of information online which could in any way prejudice any proceedings."

Harry Dunn's mum says she can "still feel his hugs" 18 months on from his death

Reacting to the announcement, the Dunn family's spokesman Radd Seiger said the hearing had now been postponed.

Issuing a statement, Mr Seiger said: "We have full faith in the Crown Prosecution Service and will wait to hear from them with further developments, hopefully in the near future.

"Harry's family were obviously looking forward to the hearing on Tuesday so they hope an agreement will be reached sooner rather than later.

"It is vitally important for their mental health that justice and closure is achieved soon."

Read more: No10 says sorry to the Queen after lockdown-breaking party night before Philip's funeral

Read more: 'Whatever it takes': Freed eco activist vows to carry on protests after leaving jail

Harry, 19, died in a road accident in 2019.

Ms Sacoolas was questioned by police the following day and less than a month later a request to waive her diplomatic immunity was formally rejected by the US.

She left the country two days later and was charged by the CPS for causing death by dangerous driving in December - but still extradition requests were rejected, something the UK Home Office called a "denial of justice".

In September Harry's parents reached a "resolution" with Mrs Sacoolas in the civil claim for damages, something that Mr Seiger said came as "considerable relief" to the family.

"The family feel that they can now turn their attention to the criminal case and the long awaited inquest into Harry’s death which will follow the criminal case," said Mr Seiger after the resolution.

"Harry’s family will never be able to move on from his loss, but they are more determined than ever to continue to move forward."