‘The UK is my home and Meghan and I were forced to leave,’ Prince Harry says in High Court security battle

7 December 2023, 14:51 | Updated: 7 December 2023, 15:03

Prince Harry told the High Court he and Meghan were 'forced' to leave the UK
Prince Harry told the High Court he and Meghan were 'forced' to leave the UK. Picture: Alamy

By Asher McShane

Prince Harry has said he and Meghan Markle were “forced” to leave Britain and move to the USA in order to keep their children safe.

Listen to this article

Loading audio...

In the Duke of Sussex’s written witness statement as part of his legal challenge against the Home Office over his security arrangements, Harry said he and his wife were “forced” to leave the country in 2020.

At a hearing in London on Thursday, the duke's barrister, Shaheed Fatima KC, said Harry did not accept that it was a "choice" for him to have stopped being a "full time working member of the royal family".

The lawyer read out an excerpt from the duke's statement in which he said: "It was with great sadness for both of us that my wife and I felt forced to step back from this role and leave the country in 2020.

"The UK is my home. The UK is central to the heritage of my children and a place I want them to feel at home as much as where they live at the moment in the US. That cannot happen if it's not possible to keep them safe when they are on UK soil.

Read more: Prince Harry 'unjustifiably treated less favourably than others' over his UK security arrangements, High Court hears

Read more: Boris Johnson tells Covid Inquiry he 'could not have done more' to stop Downing Street parties

"I cannot put my wife in danger like that and, given my experiences in life, I am reluctant to unnecessarily put myself in harm's way too."

Prince Harry pictured at the High Court as part of a separate case heard back in June
Prince Harry pictured at the High Court as part of a separate case heard back in June. Picture: Alamy

Earlier this week Harry claimed he had been "unjustifiably treated less favourably than others" over his security arrangements when he's in the UK.

The Duke of Sussex is taking legal action against the Home Office over a decision not to allow him to fund the same protection as when he was a working royal.

The court heard the impact of a "successful attack" on Harry should have been considered as part of a decision to change his security arrangements in the UK.

Read more: Harry and Meghan say they were invited to 'wedding of the year' and not snubbed as they 'refuse to go over awkwardness'

The Home Office committee that made the decision after he announced that he was stepping back from his role as a working royal, had “failed to treat (him) as it treated others”, the court also heard.

Lawyers for Harry say a failure to carry out a risk analysis meant he was treated in an "unlawful and unfair" way by the move to provide him with a different degree of protection when visiting the country.

The duke has brought legal action against the Home Office over the February 2020 decision of the Executive Committee for the Protection of Royalty and Public Figures (Ravec), with a two-and-a-half day hearing starting on Tuesday.

The Government is opposing Harry's case, saying he is treated in a "bespoke manner", with his security provision considered by Ravec in "appropriate circumstances".

A large part of the hearing in London is set to be held in private, without the press or public present, due to confidential evidence over security measures being involved in the case.

Shaheed Fatima KC, for Harry, told an initial public part of proceedings: "This case is about the right to safety and security of a person. There could not be a right of greater importance to any of us."

She told the court Ravec's written policies showed "the unlawful and unfair treatment" of Harry.

The barrister said a "crucial" part of Ravec's approach was an analysis carried out by the Risk Management Board (RMB), but added: "In this case Ravec chose not to follow its own written policy. Ravec chose not to do a RMB risk analysis."

Ms Fatima said Ravec had chosen "a far inferior procedure" in relation to the "critical safeguards" built into its policies, claiming it was the "first time that Ravec has ever decided to deviate from this policy in this way".

The lawyer said Ravec's decision was taken when the duke was "a full-time working member of the royal family" and "plainly still in the Ravec cohort".

Ms Fatima said Ravec had failed to tell Harry, who now lives in North America with wife Meghan and their children Archie and Lilibet, that he was not being treated "consistently and equally" with others nor why.

Ravec has delegated responsibility from the Home Office over the provision of protective security arrangements for members of the royal family and others, with involvement from the Metropolitan Police, the Cabinet Office and the royal household.

In written arguments, Ms Fatima said the impact on the UK's reputation if he was harmed should have been taken into account.

She said: "Ravec should have considered the 'impact' that a successful attack on the claimant would have, bearing in mind his status, background and profile within the royal family - which he was born into and which he will have for the rest of his life - and his ongoing charity work and service to the public.

"Ravec should have considered, in particular, the impact on the UK's reputation of a successful attack on the claimant."

Ms Fatima said Harry was entitled to make representations to Ravec before the change in his security, adding that his "knowledge/understanding was limited".

She said: "He would have made further representations directly to the Ravec chair if he had had the relevant information."

She said the "case-by-case" security provision for the Duke of Sussex leads to "excessive uncertainty".

"The purpose of security is to mitigate the risk of a successful attack," Ms Fatima said.

"The risk has arisen in relation to the claimant because of a factor over which he has no control and which will affect him for the rest of his life, ie, his place in the royal family."

Ms Fatima said Harry was "plainly" part of the group that Ravec has to consider, adding that the risk he faces "arises from his birth and ongoing status, as the son of" the King.

She continued: "The claimant's consistent position has been - and remains - that he should be given state security in light of the threats/risks he faces."

Sir James Eadie KC, for the Home Office, said in written arguments that the duke has been treated in a lawful, "bespoke manner" over his security.

He said: "In considering whether to provide protective security to any such individual... Ravec considers the risk of a successful attack on that individual.

"In summary, Ravec considers the threat that an individual faces, which is assessed by reference to the capability and intent of hostile actors, the vulnerability of that individual to such an attack, and the impact that such an attack would have on the interests of the state."

He continued: "As a result of the fact that he would no longer be a working member of the royal family, and would be living abroad for the majority of the time, his position had materially changed.

"In those circumstances, protective security would not be provided on the same basis as before.

"However, he would, in particular and specific circumstances, be provided protective security when in Great Britain."

Sir James said there are "finite public resources" for state-provided protective security and that it was for Ravec to decide who it took responsibility for.

He continued: "It is judged to be right in principle that the allocation of finite public resources which results from protective security provided by the state be allocated to individual who are acting in the interests of the state through their public role.

"Ravec has treated the claimant as a person who falls outside the Ravec cohort, but who nonetheless enters the cohort occasionally when in Great Britain."

The hearing before Mr Justice Lane is due to conclude on Thursday, with a ruling expected at a later date.

More Latest News

See more More Latest News

Rudy Giuliani

Rudy Giuliani pleads not guilty in Arizona election interference case

Donald Trump

Trump campaign says it will begin accepting cryptocurrency contributions

Prince Harry 'turned down the King's invitation to stay at a royal residence'.

Prince Harry ‘turned down King’s offer to stay in royal residence’ during UK trip because it ‘didn't come with security'

A screenshot taken from AP video showing a general view of northern Gaza as seen from southern Israel, before it was seized by Israeli officials

Israel says it will return video equipment seized from news organisation AP

Craig Mackinlay has said he wants to be known as the first 'bionic MP' after losing both his arms and legs to sepsis.

‘I’m the bionic MP’: Craig Mackinlay says he’s ‘lucky to be alive’ as he reveals he lost both feet and hands to sepsis

Former US president Donald Trump sits in Manhattan Criminal Court in New York

Defence rests without Donald Trump entering witness box in hush money trial

A veterinarian feeds a young howler monkey rescued amid extremely high temperatures in Tecolutilla, Tabasco state, Mexico

Howler monkeys ‘falling out of the trees like apples’ in sweltering Mexico

Mobile coverage is being expanded across the network.

Full list of London Underground stations to receive phone signal this summer - is yours listed?

Prince William hosted a garden party on behalf of his father King Charles

Prince William hosts rain-soaked Buckingham Palace garden party in absence of King Charles

Jan A P Kaczmarek poses with the Oscar for best original score for his work on Finding Neverland during the 77th Academy Awards in February 2005 in Los Angeles

Composer Jan A P Kaczmarek, Oscar winner for Finding Neverland, dies aged 71

Lawbreaking from the extreme-left is just as bad from the extreme-right, Robin Simcox has told LBC.

Lawbreaking by Just Stop Oil is as bad as similar acts by extreme-right, Commissioner for Countering Extremism says

Fred Roos

Fred Roos, Godfather Part II producer and longtime Coppola collaborator, dies

Matthew Trickett, 37, who was on bail after appearing in court accused of assisting the Hong Kong intelligence service

Former Royal Marine charged with spying for China on Hong Kong activists found dead in park in 'unexplained death'

Smokes rise to the sky after explosions in the Gaza Strip, as seen from southern Israel

UN halts food distribution in Rafah due to lack of supplies and insecurity

57 cases of cryptosporidium have been confirmed in Brixham

More than 50 people in Devon ill from contaminated water as suppliers announce £3.5m compensation

A photographer takes a picture of the ancient bronze kneeling woman sculpture during a repatriation ceremony at National Museum in Bangkok, Thailand

Thailand welcomes return of antiquities from New York’s Metropolitan Museum