Shelagh Fogarty 1pm - 4pm
Another teenager held over fatal stabbing of Bristol boys - as five appear in court in connection with deaths
2 February 2024, 17:55
Another teenager has been arrested on suspicion of murder as police continue to investigate the deaths of two boys in Bristol last weekend.
Listen to this article
The 17-year-old was earlier detained by Bristol police in connection with the deaths of Mason Rist, 15, and Max Dixon, 16.
The two teenagers were attacked and stabbed by a group of people in the southern Bristol area of Knowle West last Saturday, February 27.
Emergency services and locals went to the aid of the teenagers but their efforts were in vain. Both died in the early hours of Sunday morning each in Southmead Hospital and Bristol Royal Hospital for Children.
It comes as five other people appeared in court earlier Friday in connection - including two boys, aged 15 and 16, who cannot be named for legal reasons, at Bristol Youth Court. Both were charged with two counts of murder.
The two young defendants only spoke in court to confirm their names, ages, and addresses amid the brief hearing. They did not enter pleas to the two charges they face.
District Judge Lynne Matthews remanded the youths into custody and ordered them to appear at Bristol Crown Court on Monday.
"You will be remanded into youth detention accommodation," the judge said.
Two men were also remanded into custody earlier today when they appeared separately at Bristol Magistrates' Court accused of two charges of assisting an offender.
They are alleged to have impeded the police in apprehending the two youths accused of murdering Mason and Max.
Jamie Ogbourne, 26, of Bishport Avenue, Bristol and Bailey Westcott, 22, of Vowell Close, Bristol were ordered to appear at Bristol Crown Court on March 8.
Judge Peter Blair KC, The Recorder of Bristol, set a trial date for Anthony Snook, who is also accused of murdering the boys.
Snook, 44, of Dowling Road, Hartcliffe, Bristol, was excused attendance for the short hearing. The judge fixed a trial date of October 7 and remanded Snook into custody.
Detectives later said a 17-year-old boy was in custody after being arrested on suspicion of murder.
Separately, a 42-year-old woman previously arrested on suspicion of conspiracy to murder, has now been released on conditional bail.
Detective Superintendent Gary Haskins, who is leading the investigation, said: "The families of Mason and Max have been updated on all the latest developments in our ongoing investigation, and we'll continue to ensure they have all the support they need through specialist liaison officers.
"Now court proceedings are under way, it's even more important to remind people that posting speculation, footage and images on social media could jeopardise the forthcoming judicial process, while also causing further upset to Mason's and Max's families."