Israel rejects calls for ceasefire and says UN chief should resign over 'shocking' comments on Gaza crisis

25 October 2023, 01:16

Israel has rejected calls for a ceasefire and said the UN chief should resign.
Israel has rejected calls for a ceasefire and said the UN chief should resign. Picture: Alamy

By Jenny Medlicott

Israel has rejected calls for a ceasefire and demanded the UN chief resign after he suggested that Hamas’ attack was linked to the “suffocating occupation” of Palestinian territories.

Listen to this article

Loading audio...

The Israeli ambassador, Gilad Erdan, has said UN chief Antonio Guterres is “not fit” to lead the body after his “shocking" comments suggesting Hamas’ attack on Israel did not happen “in a vacuum”.

Mr Guterres made the comments during a meeting of the UN Security Council in New York on Tuesday.

World leaders gathered to debate whether to support a temporary ceasefire to enable the release of Hamas’ remaining 200 hostages and allow more humanitarian aid into Gaza.

But Mr Guterres' comments elicited fury in Israeli delegates.

“The Palestinian people have been subjected to 56 years of suffocating occupation,” Mr Guterres said.

“But the grievances of the Palestinian people cannot justify the appalling attacks by Hamas. And those appalling attacks cannot justify the collective punishment of the Palestinian people.'

Israeli ambassador Mr Erdan said the UN chief’s comments showed that he was “completely disconnected from the reality in our region” as he called on him to resign.

“The UN Secretary General, who shows understanding for the campaign of mass murder of children, women, and the elderly, is not fit to lead the UN,” Mr Erdan said.

Antonio Guterres has faced calls to resign as United Nations Secretary-General.
Antonio Guterres has faced calls to resign as United Nations Secretary-General. Picture: Alamy

“I call on him to resign immediately. There is no justification or point in talking to those who show compassion for the most terrible atrocities committed against the citizens of Israel and the Jewish people.”

It comes as Israel has so far rejected calls for a ceasefire, as it continues to insist it is preparing to 'wipe out' Hamas in a ground invasion after a terrorist attack killed 1,400 Israelis earlier this month.

Eli Cohen, the Israeli foreign minister, cancelled a meeting with Mr Guterres over his “shocking” comments.

He said: “Mr Secretary General, in what world do you live? Definitely this is not our world,” he said holding up photos of children kidnapped by Hamas.

“How can you agree to a ceasefire when someone swore to kill and destroy your existence.”

The Israeli delegation claimed that his showed he had “expressed an understanding for terrorism and murder”.

The United States and the United Kingdom have both publicly supported Israel's right to defend itself, rejecting pleas to call for a ceasefire in Gaza.

Read more: Calls for Israel-Hamas ceasefire grow as UN chief warns situation in Gaza 'worsening by the hour'

Read more: Cousin of man being held hostage by Hamas calls for ceasefire, as he accuses Israeli government of ‘failing' its people

Ben Kentish speaks to cousin of Israeli hostage kidnapped by Hamas

But the US Secretary of State Anthony Blinken came close to calling for a ceasefire on Tuesday when he said "humanitarian pauses" must be considered in order to allow civilians to "get out of harm's" way.

Calls for a ceasefire between Israel and Hamas have also continued to grow in the UK, with around 70 MPs urging the government to call for the fighting to stop.

Cities across the world held pro-Palestine marches on the weekend, calling for a ceasefire of the war, including almost 100,000 in central London on Saturday.

It comes as the Israel Defence Forces readies itself for a ground invasion of Gaza, however the IDF said “at this stage, there are tactical and strategic factors that give us more time”.

“We will enter the Gaza Strip, we will enter for an operational, professional task – to destroy Hamas’s operatives, Hamas’s infrastructure – and we will remember in our minds the pictures and the scenes and those who were killed on Shabbat two weeks ago,” Gen Herzi Halevi, the Israeli chief of the general staff, said.

It comes after the Hamas-run health ministry claimed on Tuesday that more than 5,000 people had been killed in Gaza since Israel began its retaliatory strikes on the territory on October 7.

On Monday evening Hamas released two more hostages, bringing the total number of hostages released to four.

Udi Goren, the cousin of Tal Haimi who was kidnapped by Hamas, told LBC that “more bloodshed” will not resolve the war.

Speaking to LBC's Ben Kentish, Mr Goren called for a ceasefire, as he said civilian lives need to be made a "priority".

More Latest News

See more More Latest News

Jay Slater's father has urged people to come forward if they have any information on his son's disappearance

'Someone must know something': Jay Slater's father speaks out as search for missing son stretches into second week

Security guard who plotted to kidnap, rape and murder Holly Willoughby previously held other women against their will

Security guard who plotted to kidnap, rape and murder Holly Willoughby previously held other women against their will

Princess Diana's family home in Mayfair has gone on sale for the first time in decades

'A trophy home with royal connections': Mayfair townhouse where Diana met Dodi on sale for £11m

A shopping centre security guard from Essex, spent almost two years plotting to kidnap and kill Holly Willoughby.

'Obsessed' security guard spent almost two years 'plotting to kidnap, rape and murder' Holly Willoughby

Princess Anne has been injured by a horse

Princess Anne rushed to hospital with concussion after being kicked in the head by horse on country estate

Rishi Sunak has said he is not aware of any other candidates being investigated in the Conservative gambling scandal

Sunak says he's not being investigated in Tory betting scandal and is 'unaware of other candidates being looked at'

Lucy Letby tells retrial she never intended to harm babies in her care

Lucy Letby tells her retrial she never tried to harm any babies in her care

Frederick Allard has been jailed

Predator landlord jailed after demanding sexual favours from women in exchange for reduced rent

Jay Slater's family have shared an image of what is believed to be the last sighting of him

Spanish police issue update on missing Jay Slater after family share CCTV of mystery figure believed to be teen

A man has been rescued following a house explosion in Willington, County Durham

Explosion destroys house and leaves man seriously injured

Polish Politics And More (archives 2016-2022)

No Brexit renegotiation without free movement, warns Michel Barnier in fresh blow for Labour

Labour and the Tories are in a 'conspiracy of silence' about taxes, the IFS has warned

Next government will have to raise taxes, cut services or borrow more, IFS warn as they slam 'conspiracy of silence'

Jay Slater's family have shared an image of what is believed to be the last sighting of him

Missing Jay Slater's 'last sighting' in Tenerife: Family share CCTV of mystery figure believed to be teen

Exclusive
Wes Streeting has said Labour would simplify the gender transition process

Labour will 'simplify burdensome and bureaucratic' gender transition process, Wes Streeting says

Hosts of Izmir Wildlife Park

Mother in 'serious condition' after being viciously mauled by wolf pack during jog through safari park

x

Tory Party not sure if Craig Williams had insider knowledge on election or whether it was 'just a hunch', says minister