Billionaire Frank McCourt says he is putting together a consortium to buy TikTok

15 May 2024, 15:14

TikTok strategy
TikTok strategy. Picture: PA

Other investors, including former Treasury secretary Steven Mnuchin, have expressed a desire to purchase TikTok.

Billionaire businessman Frank McCourt said he is putting together a consortium to purchase TikTok’s US business.

His bid adds to the number of investors hoping to benefit from a new federal law that requires TikTok’s China-based parent company to sell the popular platform or face a ban.

The announcement, posted late on Tuesday on Mr McCourt’s Project Liberty initiative, said the former owner of the Los Angeles Dodgers was organising the bid in consultation with the investment bank Guggenheim Securities and “with the goal of placing people and data empowerment at the centre of the platform’s design and purpose”.

TikTok-McCourt
US businessman Frank McCourt (Francois Mori/AP)

If a sale occurs, Mr McCourt said he would plan to restructure TikTok and give more agency to people “over their digital identities and data” by migrating the platform to an open-source protocol that allows for more transparency.

Other investors, including former Treasury secretary Steven Mnuchin, have expressed a desire to purchase TikTok.

However, parent company ByteDance has already said it does not plan to sell the platform.

The Chinese government is also unlikely to approve a sale – especially not one that includes the recommendation engine that powers the videos that populates users’ feeds.

Last week, ByteDance and TikTok filed a lawsuit against the US government to block the law from going into effect.

On Tuesday, eight TikTok creators filed their own challenge, arguing the law violates their First Amendment rights to free speech.

Mr McCourt is worth 1.4 billion dollars, according to Forbes. He sold the Dodgers for two billion dollars in 2012 to Guggenheim Baseball Management.

In 2016, he bought the French football club Marseille.

By Press Association

Latest World News

See more Latest World News

Hunter Biden

Hunter Biden’s impending gun trial mired in disagreements over evidence

Uvalde Shooting-Anniversary

Families of Uvalde victims sue Meta, video game maker and gun firm

Sean Kingston House Raid

Sean Kingston and mother alleged to have committed million dollars of fraud

OBIT Caleb Carr

Caleb Carr, military historian and author of The Alienist, dies at 68

US Kenya

US defence secretary Lloyd Austin to undergo medical procedure

France Syria Torture Trial

Paris court sentences three Syrian officials in absentia for war crimes

WHO Pandemic Treaty

Efforts to draft pandemic treaty falter as countries disagree on future response

Palestinian flag outside ICJ

Top UN court orders Israel to halt military operation in Rafah

Israel Palestinians

Egypt says it will send aid trucks into Gaza through Kerem Shalom crossing

Belarus Russia

Putin questions Zelensky’s legitimacy as Ukraine’s leader

Australia US Pilot

Sydney judge allows extradition of US ex-fighter pilot accused of training Chinese

Vatican Pope Millennial Saint

Italian teenage computer ace set to become first millennial generation saint

Director Morgan Spurlock attends a special screening of ‘RATS’ on August 26, 2013 in New York City.

Super Size Me filmmaker Morgan Spurlock dies at 53

Warships

China deploys dozens of warplanes and ships near Taiwan

Syria IS

British woman and three children linked to IS in Syria handed to UK delegation

Morgan Spurlock has died aged 53.

Super Size Me documentary maker Morgan Spurlock dies aged 53