More than 40 still stranded a day after fatal cable car accident in Turkey

13 April 2024, 10:54

Turkey Cable Car
Turkey Cable Car. Picture: PA

The accident occurred on the Tunektepe cable car, outside the Mediterranean city of Antalya.

More than 40 people remained stranded in cable cars high above a mountain in southern Turkey, the day after one pod hit a post and burst open, killing one person and injuring seven.

The accident occurred at around 5.30pm on Friday on the Tunektepe cable car, just outside the Mediterranean city of Antalya, during the busy Eid al-Fitr holiday.

Operations to rescue the stranded people continued throughout the night.

Turkey Cable Car Accident
A severely damaged pod on the cable car line (Dia Images/AP)

Okay Memis, director of the Turkish search and rescue agency AFAD, told media on Saturday morning that 128 people in 16 pods had been rescued “under difficult conditions”, adding: “The rescue of 43 others in eight remaining pods is ongoing.”

He added that rescuers hope to complete rescue operations before dark.

The casualties occurred when a pod hit a post, sending passengers plummeting to the mountainside below, officials said.

State-run Anadolu Agency identified the dead man as a 54-year-old Turk.

The injured were six Turkish citizens and one Kyrgyz national, including two children. They were rescued by coastguard helicopters.

Images on Turkish media showed the battered pod swaying from dislodged cables on the side of the rocky mountain as medics tended the wounded.

Turkey Cable Car Accident
Rescue and emergency team members work with passengers (Dia Images/AP)

A total of 543 first responders and seven helicopters were involved in the rescue operations, including teams from AFAD, the coastguard, firefighters and mountaineering teams from different parts of Turkey, officials said.

Friday was the final day of a three-day public holiday in Turkey marking the end of the Muslim holy month of Ramadan, which sees families flock to coastal resorts.

The cable car carries tourists from Konyaalti beach to a restaurant and viewing platform at the summit of the 2,010ft Tunektepe peak. It is run by Antalya Metropolitan Municipality.

The cable car line was completed in 2017 and receives a major inspection around the beginning of the year, as well as routine inspections throughout the year.

Antalya Chief Public Prosecutor’s Office has launched an investigation. An expert commission including mechanical and electrical engineers and health and safety experts was assigned to determine the cause of the incident.

By Press Association

Latest World News

See more Latest World News

T-Mobile logo

T-Mobile announces multibillion-dollar US Cellular deal

A tent camp in Rafah housing Palestinians displaced by the Israeli offensive

Israeli strikes kill 16 in Rafah, medics say, as residents report heavy fighting

Supporters of the ruling and opposition parties demonstrate at the legislative chamber building in Taipei, Taiwan

Taiwan’s legislature passes changes seen as favouring China

Papua New Guinea Landslide

Fears rise of second landslide and disease at site of Papua New Guinea disaster

Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky

Zelensky secures further promise of military aid as he continues EU tour

India Cyclone

Storms flood villages and trigger power cuts to millions in Bangladesh and India

Storm damage in Pryor, Oklahoma

22 dead as powerful storms leave trail of destruction across several US states

The wreckage of the doomed OceanGate Titan sub after the disaster that killed everyone on board

Billionaire plans new trips to Titanic wreck to prove dives are safe after OceanGate disaster

Virgin Australia aircraft

Australian police arrest man who allegedly ran naked through plane

Pope Francis is alleged to have said an offensive slur for gay people during a behind closed-doors meeting.

Pope Francis ‘used homophobic slur’ during closed-door meeting about training gay priests

Mexico Mummy Issues

Fury at Mexican government after ancient mummy loses arm in renovation bungle

Villagers search through a landslide in Yambali village in the Highlands of Papua New Guinea

Papua New Guinea’s government says landslide buried 2,000 people

Rafah airstrike that killed dozens of Palestinians was 'tragic mistake', says Israel's Netanyahu

Rafah airstrike that killed dozens of displaced Palestinians was 'tragic mistake', says Israel's Netanyahu

Biden

Biden says each generation has to ‘earn’ freedom in Memorial Day remarks

APTOPIX Israel Palestinians

Netanyahu acknowledges ‘tragic mistake’ after Rafah strike kills dozens

North Korea fails to launch 'spy satellite' into orbit again - but forces Japanese island to 'take cover'

North Korea fails to launch 'spy satellite' into orbit again - but forces Japanese island to 'take cover'