US hits Houthi sites as Biden says allied action has not yet halted ship attacks

18 January 2024, 20:04

President Joe Biden walks to speak to the media before boarding Marine One on the South Lawn of the White House in Washington
Election 2024 Biden. Picture: PA

For months, the Houthis have claimed attacks on ships in the Red Sea that they say are either linked to Israel or heading to Israeli ports.

US forces have conducted a fifth strike against Iranian-backed Houthi rebel military sites in Yemen as President Joe Biden acknowledged that the American and British bombardment had yet to stop the militants’ attacks on vessels in the Red Sea that have disrupted global shipping.

The latest strikes destroyed two Houthi anti-ship missiles that “were aimed into the southern Red Sea and prepared to launch”, US Central Command said in a statement posted to X, formerly Twitter.

They were conducted by Navy F/A-18 fighter aircraft, the Pentagon said.

Mr Biden said the US would continue the strikes, even though so far they have not stopped the Houthis from continuing to harass commercial and military vessels.

“When you say working, are they stopping the Houthis, no. Are they going to continue, yes,” Mr Biden said in an exchange with reporters before departing the White House for a domestic policy speech in North Carolina.

His comments followed another significant round of strikes on Wednesday night, when the US military fired another wave of ship and submarine-launch missile strikes against 14 Houthi-controlled sites.

The strikes were launched from the Red Sea and hit 14 missiles that the command had also deemed an imminent threat.

Mr Biden’s administration has also put the Houthis back on its list of specially designated global terrorists.

The sanctions that come with the formal designation are meant to sever violent extremist groups from their sources of financing, while also allowing vital humanitarian aid to continue flowing to impoverished Yemenis.

Despite sanctions and military strikes, including a large-scale operation carried out by US and British warships and warplanes that hit more than 60 targets across Yemen, the Houthis keep harassing commercial and military ships.

The US has strongly warned Iran to cease providing weapons to the Houthis.

“We never said the Houthis would immediately stop,” the Pentagon’s deputy press secretary Sabrina Singh said at a briefing, when asked why the strikes have not seemed to stop the Houthis.

Since the joint US and British operation got under way last Friday, hitting 28 locations and striking more than 60 targets in that initial round, the Houthis’ attacks have been “lower scale”, Ms Singh said.

For months, the Houthis have claimed attacks on ships in the Red Sea that they say are either linked to Israel or heading to Israeli ports.

They say their attacks aim to end the Israeli air-and-ground offensive in the Gaza Strip that was triggered by the Palestinian militant group Hamas’s October 7 attack in southern Israel.

But the links to the ships targeted in the rebel assaults have grown more tenuous as the attacks continue.

The attacks have also raised questions as to whether the conflict between Israel and Hamas has already expanded into a wider regional war.

“We don’t seek war, we don’t think we are at war. We don’t want to see a regional war,” Ms Singh said.

The British military is warning of a potential new attack on shipping some 160 kilometres (100 miles) off the coast of Yemen in the Gulf of Aden.

The United Kingdom Maritime Trade Organisation, which provides warnings regarding shipping across the Middle East, did not immediately elaborate.

Separately, the US and its allies have formed Operation Prosperity Guardian to protect ship traffic, and currently warships from the United States, France and the United Kingdom are patrolling the area.

“These strikes will continue for as long as they need to continue,” National Security Council spokesman John Kirby said on Thursday, adding: “I’m not going to telegraph punches one way or another.”

By Press Association

Latest World News

See more Latest World News

France Sudan Conference

World donors pledge more than two billion euros in aid for war-stricken Sudan

Climate NOAA Coral Bleaching

Scientists say coral reefs around the world are experiencing mass bleaching

Donald Trump

Trump arrives at court for start of jury selection in historic hush money trial

The attacker is 15, police say

Teenager arrested after Sydney church stabbing, as police officer's jaw broken in 'riots'

Angry crowds gather outside Christ the Good Shepherd Church in Sydney following a stabbing

'Riot' breaks out after second Sydney stabbing with church goers holding attacker 'captive'

Supreme Court Thomas

Justice Thomas misses Supreme Court session with no explanation

The former president was seen departing Trump Tower in the direction of the Manhattan Courthouse on Monday morning, where the historic criminal trial is set to commence.

'This is an assault on America': Defiant Donald Trump punches the air as criminal trial begins

Sydney church

Man arrested after reported stabbing at church in Sydney

Police confirmed a man has been arrested

Moment grinning attacker is detained by congregation after Sydney church stabbing that left four injured

Emmanuel Macron has admitted the Olympic opening ceremony may have to be moved from the Seine

Macron says France may move Paris Olympic opening ceremony from 'world first' River Seine location over ISIS threat

Collapsed bridge

FBI ‘opens criminal investigation into Baltimore bridge collapse’

Joel Cauchi killed six people in a stabbing attack in Sydney

Parents of Sydney stabber apologise and say 'monster' son 'may have killed women because he wanted a girlfriend'

Refugees in Gaza

Israeli military warns Palestinians not to return to war-torn northern Gaza

Pakistan flooding

Lightning and rains kill 36 people in Pakistan

The attacked was captured on video

Sydney rocked by second mass stabbing in days as knifeman attacks bishop and worshippers in church

Lee Hsien Loong

Singapore’s prime minister will step down on May 15