Clive Bull 1am - 4am
Israel says female soldier captured in Hamas assault freed during Gaza operation
30 October 2023, 21:44
The military said Private Ori Megidish ‘was medically checked, is doing well, and has met with her family’.
Israeli troops and tanks have pushed deeper into Gaza, freeing a soldier held captive by Hamas militants and advancing on two sides of the territory’s main city.
The UN and medical staff warned that air strikes have hit closer to hospitals where tens of thousands of Palestinians have sought shelter alongside thousands of wounded.
The military said a female soldier captured during Hamas’s wide-ranging October 7 attack inside Israel had been released during its ground operation – the first such rescue since the weeks-long war began.
The statement provided few details, but said Private Ori Megidish “is doing well” and has met with her family.
Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu welcomed her home, saying the “achievement” by Israel’s security forces “illustrates our commitment to free all the hostages”.
He also rejected calls for a ceasefire to facilitate the release of captives or end the war, which he has said will be long and difficult.
“Calls for a ceasefire are calls for Israel to surrender to Hamas,” Mr Netanyahu told a press conference.
“That will not happen.”
He also said he has no plans to resign in the face of mounting anger over the failure of Israel’s vaunted security forces to prevent the worst surprise attack on the country in half a century.
Hamas and other militant groups are believed to be holding some 240 captives, including men, women and children.
Mr Netanyahu has faced mounting pressure to secure their release even as Israel wages a punishing war it says is aimed at crushing Hamas and ending its 16-year rule over the territory.
Hamas, which has released four hostages, has said it would let the others go in return for thousands of Palestinian prisoners held by Israel, including many implicated in deadly attacks on Israelis.
Israel has dismissed the offer.
Earlier on Monday, Mr Netanyahu had said that the ground invasion “creates opportunities to release hostages”.
Hamas released a short video on Monday purporting to show three other female captives.
One of the women delivers a brief statement – likely under duress – criticising Israel’s response to the hostage crisis.
It was not clear when the Hamas video was made.
The Associated Press usually refrains from reporting details of hostage videos because they show individuals speaking under duress and are often used for propaganda purposes.
Amos Aloni, whose daughter Danielle appeared in the video, told reporters that he and his wife were shocked when she appeared on TV but also felt “relief from her being alive and seeing her”.
The military has been vague about its operations inside Gaza, including the location and number of troops.
Israel has declared a new “phase” in the war but stopped short of declaring an all-out ground invasion, even as it has deployed tens of thousands of troops to the border.
The movements of recent days, including larger ground operations both north and east of Gaza City, point to a focus on the city.
Israel says much of Hamas’s forces and militant infrastructure, including hundreds of miles of tunnels, are in Gaza City, which before the war was home to more than 650,000 people.
Casualties on both sides are expected to rise sharply if Israeli forces expand their ground operation and end up battling Palestinian militants in dense residential areas.
Though Israel ordered Palestinians to flee the north, where Gaza City is located, and move south, hundreds of thousands remain, in part because Israel has also bombarded targets in so-called safe zones.
Around 117,000 displaced people hoping to stay safe from strikes are staying in hospitals in northern Gaza, alongside thousands of patients and staff, according to UN figures.
The UN agency for Palestinian refugees, known as UNRWA, says nearly 672,000 Palestinians are sheltering in its schools and other facilities across Gaza, which have reached four times their capacity.
The death toll among Palestinians passed 8,300, mostly women and children, the Gaza Health Ministry said on Monday.
The figure is without precedent in decades of Israeli-Palestinian violence.
More than 1.4 million people in Gaza have fled their homes.
More than 1,400 people have died on the Israeli side, mainly civilians killed during Hamas’s initial attack, also an unprecedented figure.
Video circulating on social media showed an Israeli tank and bulldozer in central Gaza blocking the territory’s main highway, which the Israeli military in recent weeks has suggested Palestinians use to evacuate to the south.
Hundreds of thousands of Palestinians who remain in the north would no longer be able to escape if the road is blocked.
The video, taken by a local journalist, shows a car approaching an earth barrier across the road. The car stops and turns around.
As it heads away, a tank appears to open fire, and an explosion engulfs the car.
The journalist, in another car, races away in terror, screaming, “Go back! Go back!” at an approaching ambulance and other vehicles.
The Gaza Health Ministry later said three people were killed in the car that was hit.
Rear Admiral Daniel Hagari, an Israeli military spokesman, declined to comment on where Israeli forces are deployed.
He said additional infantry, armoured, engineering and artillery units had entered Gaza and the operations would continue to “expand and intensify”.
The military said troops have killed dozens of militants who attacked from inside buildings and tunnels.
It said that in the last few days, it had struck more than 600 militant targets, including weapons depots and anti-tank missile launching positions.
Palestinian militants have continued firing rockets into Israel, including towards its commercial hub, Tel Aviv.
Hamas said its fighters clashed with Israeli troops who entered the north-west.
It was not possible to independently confirm battlefield claims made by either side.
Meanwhile, crowded hospitals in northern Gaza came under growing threat.
Gaza’s Health Ministry shared video footage that appeared to show an explosion and a column of smoke near the Turkish-Palestinian Friendship Hospital for cancer patients.
The hospital director, Dr Sobhi Skaik, said it had sustained damage in a strike that endangered patients.
All 10 hospitals operating in northern Gaza have received evacuation orders, the UN’s office for the co-ordination of humanitarian affairs said.
Staff have refused to leave, saying evacuation would mean death for patients on ventilators.
Strikes hit within 50 metres of Al Quds Hospital after it received two calls from Israeli authorities on Sunday ordering it to evacuate, the Palestinian Red Crescent rescue service said.
Some windows were blown out, and rooms were covered in debris.
It said 14,000 people are sheltering there
Israel says it targets Hamas fighters and infrastructure and that the militants operate among civilians, putting them in danger.
Beyond the fighting, conditions for civilians in Gaza are continually deteriorating as food, medicine and fuel run dangerously low amid a weeks-long Israeli siege.
On Sunday, the largest convoy of humanitarian aid yet – 33 trucks – entered the territory from Egypt.
Relief workers say the amount is still far less than what is needed for the population of 2.3 million people.
The siege has pushed Gaza’s infrastructure nearly to collapse.
With no central power for weeks and little fuel, hospitals are struggling to keep emergency generators running to operate incubators and other life-saving equipment.
UNRWA has been trying to keep water pumps and bakeries running.
The fighting has raised concerns that the violence could spread across the region.
Israel and the Lebanese militant group Hezbollah have engaged in daily skirmishes along Israel’s northern border.
In the occupied West Bank, Israel said its warplanes carried out air strikes on Monday against militants clashing with its forces in the Jenin refugee camp, the scene of repeated Israeli raids.
Hamas said four of its fighters were killed there.
As of Sunday, Israeli forces and settlers have killed 123 Palestinians, including 33 minors, in the West Bank, half of them during search-and-arrest operations, the UN said.