Military chief says Israel will respond to Iran’s missile strike

15 April 2024, 20:54

Mideast Tensions Key Events
Mideast Tensions Key Events. Picture: PA

Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has been meeting with top officials to discuss a possible response.

Israel’s military chief has said his country will respond to Iran’s missile strike over the weekend.

Lt Gen Herzi Halevi added that Israel is still considering its steps.

But he said the Iranian strike of missiles and attack drones “will be met with a response”.

Lt Gen Halevi spoke during a visit to the Nevatim airbase, which Israel says suffered light damage in the Iranian attack.

Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has been meeting with top officials to discuss a possible response.

World leaders have been urging Israel not to retaliate after Iran launched an attack involving hundreds of drones, ballistic missiles and cruise missiles.

The Iranian attack on Saturday marked the first time Iran has launched a direct military assault on Israel, despite decades of enmity dating back to the country’s 1979 Islamic Revolution.

The attack happened less than two weeks after a suspected Israeli strike in Syria that killed two Iranian generals in an Iranian consular building.

The Israeli military says that 99% of the drones and missiles launched by Iran were intercepted, with the help of other countries including the United States, the UK and France.

Despite the reported interceptions, Iran has called the attack a success.

In Washington, US National Security Council spokesman John Kirby declined to say whether the US had been or expects to be briefed on any Israeli response plans.

“We will let the Israelis speak to that,” he told reporters.

“We are not involved in their decision-making process about a potential response.”

Israel and Iran have been on a collision course throughout Israel’s six-month war against Hamas militants in the Gaza Strip.

The war erupted after Hamas and Islamic Jihad, two militant groups backed by Iran, carried out a devastating cross-border attack on October 7 that killed 1,200 people in Israel and kidnapped 250 others.

By Press Association

Latest World News

See more Latest World News

Hunter Biden

Hunter Biden’s impending gun trial mired in disagreements over evidence

Uvalde Shooting-Anniversary

Families of Uvalde victims sue Meta, video game maker and gun firm

Sean Kingston House Raid

Sean Kingston and mother alleged to have committed million dollars of fraud

OBIT Caleb Carr

Caleb Carr, military historian and author of The Alienist, dies at 68

US Kenya

US defence secretary Lloyd Austin to undergo medical procedure

France Syria Torture Trial

Paris court sentences three Syrian officials in absentia for war crimes

WHO Pandemic Treaty

Efforts to draft pandemic treaty falter as countries disagree on future response

Palestinian flag outside ICJ

Top UN court orders Israel to halt military operation in Rafah

Israel Palestinians

Egypt says it will send aid trucks into Gaza through Kerem Shalom crossing

Belarus Russia

Putin questions Zelensky’s legitimacy as Ukraine’s leader

Australia US Pilot

Sydney judge allows extradition of US ex-fighter pilot accused of training Chinese

Vatican Pope Millennial Saint

Italian teenage computer ace set to become first millennial generation saint

Director Morgan Spurlock attends a special screening of ‘RATS’ on August 26, 2013 in New York City.

Super Size Me filmmaker Morgan Spurlock dies at 53

Warships

China deploys dozens of warplanes and ships near Taiwan

Syria IS

British woman and three children linked to IS in Syria handed to UK delegation

Morgan Spurlock has died aged 53.

Super Size Me documentary maker Morgan Spurlock dies aged 53